-OCTOBER. 3.-

"Pssst."

"Psssssssst."

Carmilla groaned into her pillow, pulling the plush doona further over her head to block out the whispers next to her. Whoever was trying to wake her up this early had decided to jump on her bed and rip her blankets off.

"Fuck off...." Carmillla muttered, opening her eyes a little and waiting for them to readjust to the brightness around her.

June was still snoring softly in the four-poster bed next to her. Ace had already dressed up in her makeshift quidditch uniform of the school skirt and shirt with a blue denim jacket and laced up leather boots. She tapped her dark green nails impatiently on Carmilla's shoulder as she kneeled next to her.

"Up, up, up! We have tryouts this morning!" Ace whisper shouted, dragging the doona from Carmilla's clutches and pushing her towards the bathroom. She didn't bother hiding her face, and just showered and then put on her new lipstick.

It was the same shade, just a bit smoother over her lips and she tasted cherry's faintly when she wore it.

"I hate you...." Carmilla mumbled, trudging after her ecstatic friend through the corridors. Ace had left a note for June. "Who even schedules this stuff for six in the morning? A medieval torturer?"

"Aster does, and he is a great captain. You'll get used to it." Ace said cheerily, her broom in hand. She skipped down to the dewy grass.

Carmilla rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and pulled her cloak closer around her, the cold wind was seeping into her and making her shiver. She hadn't even realised she could get cold. There was a pile of the school's broomsticks to the side, so she picked up one and stood next to Ace. A thin layer of frost crunched underneath her shoes. She couldn't believe she was wearing the school shoes to Quidditch try outs. Maybe if she didn't use shampoo for a few months she could buy another pair of proper boots. 

The boy that Carmilla assumed to be Aster stood in front of the line of maybe thirty grumpy and exhausted Ravenclaws, who varied in age.

"Hello everyone, I'm Aster. I'll split you off into groups for the position you are going for, and then come around and give everyone some directions," he said sternly, then sighed. "Anyone who isn't seriously interested can just leave now, please, to save me the hassle."

He raised an eyebrow at a gaggle of first years and they hurried away, broomless. No one else walked off the pitch, but a few kids shifted uncomfortably, like they wanted to.

Ace ran over to where a few boys in the year above were trying out for chasers. Most of the willing participants seemed to be in groups of friends. Carmilla turned to find two other teenagers waiting around.

"Hi! I'm Canopus, this is Benny, are you trying out for seeker too?" A light-haired boy asked her excitedly, holding his own broom. Another boy was behind him, watching Aster release the bludgers with disinterest. 

"Yeah. I'm Carmilla," was all she said, though she tried to pair it with a smile.

"Okay, I'll get you three to do some loops and then I'll be throwing some golf balls up, and after a bit the beaters'll have a go at you as well. Got it?" Aster asked. He eyed Benny, who had completely zoned out, choosing to stare at a girl trying out for keeper.

There were only four girls on the pitch.

Carmilla could see Ace looking around with a tight jaw from the other side of the green. She brushed it off and got onto her broom, the same one she'd used during the countless practises she'd had. They were fun, but with two boys trying to knock each other playfully out of the air behind her, and then over taking her and nearly knocking her off her own broom for no reason, it wasn't quite as fun.