chapter II

A Royal Dispute

Crowds became silent as Hyunjin and I turned to face the speaker ahead of us

Crowds became silent as Hyunjin and I turned to face the speaker ahead of us. He looked as miserable as I felt inside, but we were forced to stand and listen to his imperfect speech. Beside me I felt the warmth radiating off Hyunjin's body which I wasn't sure if it added to my shaking.

"Hwang Hyunjin, Do you take Byun Arim to be your wedded wife, to live together in marriage?"

My breath hitched waiting for him to reject this in front of everyone; Waiting for any embarrassment.

"I do."
His voice had an unreadable tone but it was soft yet firm. I wonder what blackmail his parents had on him.

"And Byun Arim do you take Hwang Hyunjin as your wedded husband, to live together in marriage?"

Slowly my eyes glanced to my right as I saw my mother giving me a wide smile and a gentle head nod. None of this was our decision. How did they expect me and Hyunjin to stay married forever if we didn't even know each other.

"I do."

There was a momental clap as this young girl with pretty clips wrapped around her brown locks walked forward holding out two rings I'd never seen before in my life. So I would never get a chance to be proposed to. The thought left my mind as quickly as it had entered as Hyunjin took a first move to take hold of the one ring. My breath tightened further when his gentle hand connected with mine bringing it closer to him as he slipped it over my ring finger. I did the same steps as he had done but my eyes made the mistake of looking up into his dark brown eyes.

"You may kiss the bride." The speaker directed to Hyunjin which made my stomach flip.

Kiss.

We stood there frozen, feeling like time itself had taken a break letting us just process everything that was happening. But time hadn't frozen we were standing still with a whole kingdom's population watching us with their curious eyes.

The speaker was about to say something when Hyunjin tightly closed his eyes in annoyance and he moved forward elegantly, taking my head in his hand as his other was placed on the lower end of my back. His lips were soft, like his voice. But it ended in a matter of moments and he enforced his hand in mine as he indicated for me to copy him and bow to the crowds around us while smiling...

—————

After we had signed the official documents we spilt ways in the crowd and many faces were coming up to me.

"Congratulations!! I could imagine how happy you must be to be Mrs Hwang Arim!" I bowed my head a little while enforcing a tough smile to this random woman of public who had entrapped me in conversation. Oh yes I'm absolutely delighted, I sarcastically thought in my mind.