Vol. 2 Chapter 8: Group. - Part 2

"M–Miyamoto, can I talk to you for a sec?"
I arrived at the classroom and was immediately approached by a guy other than Katayama... Uh, who are you in the first place?
The dude was at least 180cm tall, and his build was solid. His face, though, was kindly shaped and resembled a certain bear who loves honey. Hmm, he's a bit too massive to be called that, though.
I'm not sure why, but he's gone through the trouble of talking to me, so it would be rude to just whiz pass him. If I look more closely, I may get a clue—His haircut is rather normal, but he does look like a fashion-conscious guy. Oh, wait! He's one of the dudes in Katayama's group.
Okay, good job me for noticing it. All I have to do now is guess his name. Remember, remember the names that were called in the morning homeroom all these days... Oh, Yuta Miyamoto!
"Ah, morning Miyamoto."
"...Miyamoto's over there, my name is Yamauchi..."
"...Sorry."
I lost the 50-50. Oh well, at least I have their names memorized. The blonde right over there fiddling with his phone is Miyamoto, while the gentle-looking guy in front of me is Yamauchi. Won't make the same mistake again.
"W, well, we've never had a conversation before."
"Thanks, Yamauchi. So, whaddya want?"
"It's about Katayama."
"Him? What's wrong?"
...It's about Katayama? I can only wonder what it is. Maybe he doesn't like the fact we've been getting along recently and came here to tell me to scram or something. Well, his gaze and mannerisms are rather soft, so it feels like he needs something rather than that.
"I'm sure you've noticed it recently," he started, "but lately Katayama seems to be troubled by something."
"Ah, that indeed..."
Not only am I aware of it, but I'm also somewhat of a strategist behind a lot of the things happening.
"He just won't tell us what it is, and he's always dodging us—No, I'm sure he'd answer me if I asked him seriously, but he seems to trust you a lot, Miyamoto."
"Is that so? You've known each other for much longer."
"You see, Katayama loves dressing up, right? That's why he told us he was mighty happy to talk about his hobby with you. Maybe that's part of it."
"...So that's how it is."
Katayama's friends were certainly good-looking, but I guess this is about them not being as passionate about fashion as him. Well, I acquired knowledge as a means rather than a hobby, but even so, I'm someone that gets him. In the same way, Iwashiro is someone that gets him.
"So instead of us, who aren't able to help him, we want you to help him," he concluded.
...Your friends really care about you, Katayama. It's impossible to have such caring friends, who'll really vouch for you when you're at your lows unless you have a great deal of popularity.
"Of course. I'm gonna try as hard as I can," I answer.
"...Really! Thank you!"
"But I'm surprised you decided to ask me of all people. I mean, you don't like me."
Earlier, when I was walking to Katayama, all Yamauchi did was back away. Ever since that happened, I thought he had a really bad impression of me.
"Uh, no? I don't have a bad impression of you at all."
"...Eh? Is that so?"
"'Course, it's just that sometimes there's an aura, or rather, power emanating from you..."
"...I'll be more careful."
So he wasn't particularly bitter, but rather that he noticed the uncanny and ghastly feelings that swirled around me in the past. Wow, I'm starting to cringe in hindsight.
"T–That's one of your qualities, Miyamoto! I guess!"
"Uh, I'm not sure, but I'll take that as a compliment."
"Thanks. I've been wanting to befriend you as well, so can I talk to you from now on?"
"Glad to know that. Sure, of course."
Maybe it's easier to make friends than I thought, huh? Yamauchi actually took the initiative. However, it isn't enough to keep relying on others. I must try to make friends myself from now on.
"Oh, my bro and Yamauchi, that's an unusual combo. Whatcha talking about?"
"M, morning Katayama. Uh, well, we were—"
"I just walked up to ask Yamauchi about the scope of today's quiz since I couldn't figure it out."
"That's a disaster. Yamauchi doesn't take notes, so you'll never know."
"A, ahaha... I've been exposed..."
This was the best I could do with my spur-of-the-moment thinking, but I managed to fool him. I think. Though Yamauchi, you seem so serious and you don't take notes?
"Yeah. Oh, bro, got a minute?" Katayama asked.
"Hm? What's up?"
After he asked me, Yamauchi was very considerate and left. Only Katayama and I remained.
"Show time is almost here, so could you help me with the rehearsals starting today?"
"That's nice. Some things you have to practice to know, I guess."
"Thanks! Oh well, let's get started with the kimonos—"
Thus, we had about two weeks of numerous simulations, and finally, the school trip was about to begin. Showtime was near.