Prologue

You're a young noble woman of the Rose family. You have been trained as a warrior but you've always been the rebellious type so often you skip out on classes to cause trouble. War begins soon and a Gray Warden comes to speak with your father, James Rose.

---

Y/N POV

I hear people talk of a gray warden coming to my home about the war. I have no interest in this war but I've heard tales of the gray warden's, a band of warriors who united everyone together to defeat the dark spawn. I climb up the city buildings to get a better look and then there he was, the gray warden.

I see my father approach him and lead him into the dinning hall to speak. I try to go down but I'm then stopped by my childhood best friend, Leon.

"Did you really think nobody would catch you sneaking around? Walter asked me to find you. Too easy." He smirks and I roll my eyes "I get it I get it, I want to meet this gray warden though so move!" Leon moves out of my way and I climb down from the tall building with him following me.

We jump down and I dust myself off "Why do you want to meet him so bad? Plan on joining the war?" I scoff "tch, of course not.. I've heard they're the guys you don't mess with so I want to meet the guy" Leon shrugs and hangs his arm around my shoulder "Well, alright, but Walter is gonna be so mad if he finds out you skipped out to meet someone that shouldn't even concern you" Leon smirks, hoping that it'll convince me to train with him. I nervously laugh "ah well this could be my only chance"

"Hah, fair enough. I'll meet him with you." We walk towards the main room where I find my father and a few others speaking with each other. "Ah, Y/N, this is Duncan. He's one of the gray wardens."

I leave Leon behind and approach Duncan "I've heard about you guys. You're the ones who eradicated the dark spawn, correct?" I raise an eyebrow. "We did defeat them once but I'm afraid not permanently" I nod and turn to my father "Are you joining them?" My father laughs "Hah, no, your older brother Isaac is. Hey, shouldn't you be training?"

"Isaac? That's odd. I didn't know he was going to this war? And Walter can wait.." Duncan eyes me, I'm not sure why but maybe that's because I'm not exactly making a great impression. I turn to him and clear my throat "i-i'm sorry. My name is y/n, I didn't mean to be rude"

Duncan nods "you're perfectly fine, y/n." I nervously laugh. How embarrassing... "You should consider joining the gray warden's, you seem to have quite the fighting spirit" before I could get a word out my father shuts that idea down pretty damn quickly. "No, y/n is not going to war let alone join the gray warden's. My apologies but she must stay here and train, she has a lot to learn."

"I think she's ready but if you so wish I won't push it however she could be a valuable asset" Duncan seems to be trying to sway my father into letting me join before I could even say what I WANT. "No, stop, I'm fine father but I don't know.. I don't have what it takes to be a gray warden and I have no interest in battle. Thank you for the offer"

"Y/n, you should leave, Duncan, Charles and I have much to discuss" my father points to the door "I didn't mean to interrupt.. I'll leave now" Leon follows me out of the room and we head to Walter's training room.

We open the door to see Walter crossing his arms "Bah! Thought you bailed on me. Where were you?" Walter asks.  "I was talking to the new guy here! Duncan? The gray warden?" Walter groans "Hmph, I see. Let's get started, shall we?"

Leon and I begin our warrior training lessons....

The sun sets down and we head out to sleep. "Leon, I'm exhausted... I can't stay up to play cards or anything I gotta go to bed..." Leon frowns "Hm, I understand... Well, I'll be playing cards with the others then, get some good sleep y/n" I wave my arm up as a see you later then walk to my room.

I walk into my bedroom and changed into my pajamas but then I overhear some people talking about something out of my door. I lean in to listen better...

"Go back to work, elf, and make sure to mop the halls, knife ear"

"Yes, yes of course"

"Good... Damn elf..."

The man is clearly drunk and I don't remember one of our elves having an accent? That's strange. I then hear them walk away from each other. As I open the door I saw a glimpse of blond hair turn around the corner. I have a weird feeling about this but I ignore and go to bed...

The next morning I wake up to grab food but I am greeted with bad news about my brother.

"Killed?? How??" My mother cries into her hands as my father comforts her. Duncan steps in to say something "I am sorry about the loss of your son, there appears to be an intruder" my father sighs "I.. I don't know..." He hangs his head low. Alaina, my brother's wife comes into the room crying. "This is.. awful.. my husband was a good man" she goes to wipe off tears but there's nothing? How odd. "We don't have much time now, the war is ahead of us and I need to come home with a recruit. I ask permission to recruit your daughter"

My father steps up "No! Leon would be a much better candidate but not y/n" Duncan shakes his head "I'm afraid not. Your son and daughter have the heart of a warrior and the potential of a gray warden" my father angrily looks at me and back at him then back at me and THEN back at HIM! I gulp, not knowing what he's going to do or say but either way it'll be pretty damn embarrassing. Leon steps into the conversation "no way y/n is going to war, she has to help her mother watch over the kingdom while you guys go to war!"

My father puts his hand in Leon's face "Hush! Rose, you have to take your brother's place. His family will be just fine but you need to help us"

I back up a few steps and take a deep breath "Woah... Um.. d-do I have to?? All of this is happening so fast I.. I don't kn-" Duncan stops me "You need to" I look at both him and my father before gulping.

"I.. yes.. yes I'll join the gray warden's. Will everyone be alright?" I ask. Leon's face is filled with shock and he storms out of the room. My father speaks up "yes we'll be fine, I love you" Duncan then turns to me "You'll leave in the morning." I nod "I have to go do something real quick, I'm sorry!"

I leave the room and run to chase after Leon. I find him in the back alleys and I go to speak with him "Leon-"

"Why.. I thought you weren't going to do it? You're going to die out there Y/n" Leon angrily kicks a wooden bucket and breaks it. "Leon, I have to! For my brother I have to. Someone killed him and now it's my job to help father fight this war. I will be okay"

"Oh yeah and all the while I'll be stuck here defending our home instead of fighting beside you! It's... It's whatever. Just go already y/n"

I sigh and leave to train while I wait to leave.

The next morning arrives and I say goodbye to everyone as I leave to Ostagar. Leon hands me a necklace and takes a deep breath before saying good luck. I nod and wave everyone goodbye...

The necklace is a symbol of a rose with my name on the back. "Y/N Rose" I smile and hold it close to me. This is going to be a long ride...

To be Continued...
-----------------------------

Hello this is my first published fanfic! If you could help support me that would amazing :)

I hope you enjoyed the backstory of your character!!!! I'll be back with another chapter soon enough <3