ACT 2 A DIFFERENT PATH

CHAPTER 14 – ORD MANTELL

THE ARMS DEALER

The crew of the Pegasus sat gathered around the exquisite table in the lounge as Effrideet broke down the intricacies of their 'job' from the Rat. Their job was to assault an Imperial military base – an air field on the outskirts of Ord Mantell's battleground. Thing was, while it was aligned with Imperial forces, it was an external arms dealer called Dreelo Tonu, an notoriously greedy Rodian who'd exploited Hutt greed for years. His weapons were black market and commonly came with illegal modifications, it seems that with the war providing such a lucrative market, he had expanded in to vehicles and aircraft. These couldn't be allowed to continue being used as it was causing serious damage to the Republic efforts on Ord Mantell.

'So our plan is to just storm the base and blast our way through everything?' Doc didn't sound too excited about the perilous nature of the job.

'Well, yeah. But we've got 3 force users, a Republic Commando, an astromech and a doctor with a blaster. I fail to see how the odds are stacked against us.' Effrideet chuckled.

'I mean, there's a small private army as well as I don't know...Tanks? Bombers? All kinds of-'

'Yes but how many of those have I destroyed? You worry too much!'

'In defence of the Doctor, mission possibility of success is only at 32.341% due to our lack of firepower in comparison to the enemy as well as the lack of Republic reinforcements. I believe it to be highly likely that the Rat is having us-'Rusk found his analytics swiftly interrupted.

'Not you too!' Effrideet spoke with a humoured sarcasm as the ship rattled from a nearby explosion. 'We're here! Grab your gear guys, we're going in!' Scourge silently followed Effrideet to the vehicle bay as Kira shrugged and did the same. T7 bleeped as he followed, while Rusk and Doc looked at each other.

'Told you she was crazy.' Doc chortled as he grabbed his blaster.

'You told me that she was 'crazy about you' and 'crazy about your handsome looks and limitless talents.' Rusk responded, unamused.

'Same thing, right?'

The vehicle bay door opened, and the sight below them was an active war – countless blaster shits and explosions that drowned out the screams of the soldiers below. The ship picked up pace as it flew lower and closer to the action.

'Now, if Rat's Intel was good, the Republic have advanced on the airfield which gives us a good distraction, C2 will bring the ship down when we've dealt with the AA guns. Sound good? Good. Race you guys down there!' Effrideet didn't even look back at her bewildered companions and she dived in to the fray from above, Kira and Scourge hesitated before following her.

'Think that jump would maybe break my legs.' Doc assessed the situation carefully.

Rusk looked at him with no emotion but disappointment.

On the surface, Effrideet targeted an imperial land tank as she fell, throwing her sabers in to its hull from above, slicing through the roof and instantly killing the driver and gunner. The Imperials surrounding the tank froze as she landed on the hull, both sabers already back in hand. She smirked as she lunged forwards, dispatching of the squad within seconds with flashes of white and purple. Kira and Scourge landed besides her. Scourge looked at the carnage Effrideet had wrought. 'Impressive.'

'Thanks! Let's keep going.' Effrideet barely finished her sentence as she darted towards the airfield as war raged on behind them.

'Tell me young one, is she always this... excitable?'