Part 6

The next morning, we were sitting in Miss Bank's living room with Leo Jesperson talking about the case

The next morning, we were sitting in Miss Bank's living room with Leo Jesperson talking about the case. Howard, Hampton and Jesperson seemed to both believe that she was dead but none of them wanted to say that in front of Miss Banks without solid proof.

But there was proof! I thought back to what forbidden thing I had witnessed last night, the apparition in the corner of the room and the ghost of Elizabeth Dougherty by the pond. I still wasn't sure whether I should trust the experience or disregard it. But I just had to know if it was real! I had to check the pond. But how?

After the meeting with Jesperson, he went back to the station, requesting that we keep him up to date with our findings. 'Okay, now we can get to the real work. We're going to get to the interrogating.' Howard said. I felt I had to hide my encounter with the dead girl.

We split up into two teams, Howard and me, Hampton and Rowena. Howard said that it was important we interview everyone who was supposed to meet her or did meet her, team Hampton was going to The Open Book Archives to gather some information on Miss Banks' past and Elizabeth's as well. Me and Howard would be interrogating Miss Banks. We needed to know as much as possible about the 'missing' person.
After Hampton and Rowena left, Howard managed to persuade Miss Banks to answer some of our questions.

We set up in the in the basement which was much less impressive than the rest of the house. Cobwebs and spiders made homes is the corners and the floorboards creaked with every step. It was almost completely an empty space except for a pile of furniture stacked in the corner of the room including a folding table and chairs. We used these to set up, and with some moody lighting we were all ready.

I sat beside Howard with my note book in hand, ready to write down every single detail. Opposite us sat Miss Banks wearing a solid expression. Clearly to hide her fear. We started off simple.

'Where were you on the day that Elizabeth Dougherty went missing?' Howard asked.

'I was at home for most of the day. A woman called Emily Fitzgerald was making a booking for room four. After she and I finished our discussion on the phone I left to the grocers down the road.'

'What time was that?'

'Around two in the afternoon.' I realised Miss Banks wasn't looking directly at Howard but rather slightly towards me. Even without seeing her I could tell she was watching me scribble down all the words she was saying.

'Did you see Elizabeth leave for work that day?' Howard inquired.

'No, I wasn't there to see her off.' She hesitated over the words again. My job was not only to take note but to read. To read her. It's what I'm good at, the reason Howard hired me in the first place. And even though Miss Banks was trying really hard, I read her like a book. And she was not as good a liar as she thought she was

'What was the name of the grocery store you went to?' Miss Banks looked confused at the question, like she hadn't heard it properly, or maybe she just didn't want to answer.