𝐈𝐈. quicksilver

─── chapter two.
❛ QUICKSILVER

THERE WAS ANOTHER THING TO ADD TO NOVA'S HATE LIST, and it was traveling by portkey

she felt like her heart had dislodged from its place and was now stuck in her throat. not to mention the complete and utter embarrassment of having gripped the ever-loving fuck out of cedric diggory's arm — yes, of all people, cedric diggory! — in order to keep herself from toppling over.

it didn't help at all that he'd gently placed his hand on the gap between her shoulder blades and soothingly patted her until she didn't feel like she'd taken a pint too many of firewhiskey. it was mortifying when his kind and deeply concerned eyes locked with hers and asked her those humiliating three words — "are you okay?"

clearly, nova was not okay — she was on the verge of splinching herself so she'd never have to face cedric's pretty face ever again (especially not with that expression, it left a funny burning feeling in the pit of her stomach).

"i'm fine," nova brushed his hand away (seriously, who was he to touch her?!) and broke the intense eye contact.

it was as though cedric suddenly remembered who nova was (ahem, miss i-hate-everyone-and-you-won't-have-fingers-anymore-if-you-touch-me-again nova aetos) and he cleared his throat awkwardly.

"er, okay then." with a small smile, he shuffled a few centimeters away, yet continued with her to catch up to the others.

they had arrived on what appeared to be a deserted stretch of misty moor. in front of them was a pair of tired and grumpy-looking wizards talking to their group, one of whom was holding a large gold watch, the other a thick roll of parchment and a quill. both were dressed as muggles, but to nova, they looked like hooligans and nuthouses.

the man with the watch wore a tweed suit with thigh-length galoshes; his colleague, a kilt and a poncho.

"morning, basil," said mr. weasley, picking up the boot and handing it to the kilted wizard, who threw it into a large box of used portkeys beside him.

nova was getting increasingly irritated that cedric had yet to leave her side, despite his own father standing a few feet away. elliot's eyebrows had shot up and his blue eyes twinkled when he'd spotted the two standing together (though in his eyes, nova was laughing very heartily to a joke cedric had said) and turned to nudge his wife gently.

"hello there, arthur," said basil wearily. "not on duty, eh? it's all right for some...we've been here all night. you'd better get out of the way, we've got a big party coming in from the black forest at five fifteen. hang on, i'll find your campsite... weasley... weasley..." he consulted his parchment list. "about a quarter of a mile's walk over there, first field you come to. site manager's called mr. roberts. diggory and aetos... second field ... ask for mr. payne."