#1.3: Graveyard

LUCKILY FOR JUNGKOOK and his dimwit memory, Taehyung and his girlfriend, Vivienne lived in the same apartment complex as him and loved Haeun like she was their own daughter

Taehyung was Jungkook's friend from work, and he was present with the moral support Jungkook needed after the divorce. Taehyung was there for his 3 am pity-party calls, late-night pick-ups when Jungkook was shit-face drunk, and even cooked meals for him when he felt like he could simply die. Jungkook was really, really grateful for Taehyung's existence in his life, and he had promised he would return the favour when Taehyung needed it. Maybe even babysit Taehyung's kids while their parents went out on vacations.

After dropping off Eun at Taehyung's place, thanking him a couple of times, refusing to tell where he was heading and making a stop at the nearest convenience store, Jungkook headed to the place he knew he would find Hyunjae.

His brain was weird, in that way. Most of the time, it refused to remember little-little details, and hence, Jungkook had made a habit of keeping a daily diary log and innumerable remainders on his phone, but sometimes, very rarely, he remembered a specific detail, and a chain reaction of sorts took place in his brain. Suddenly, he remembered every single thing. He was weird like that, and he remembered Hyunjae saying she loved the weirdness.

Getting out of his car with an umbrella, a bouquet and a bag full of clinking bottles, Jungkook headed inside the cemetery that looked a little bit like the graveyards in horror movies. To Jungkook, it would have been an adventure of sorts, had the situation been different.

It was almost comical how fast he found her. She was sitting in front of a tombstone in the muddy April rain without any protection from the precipitation. The green grass was wet and soiled, and Jungkook inwardly cringed at the sound of a frog splashing in a puddle nearby. He did not hate the rains per se, but he hated the muck it left behind.

Placing the bouquet of flowers softly in front of Karina's gravestone, Jungkook stood in front of his ex-wife with the umbrella covering both of them. "I'm here to pick you up," he announced, "It's raining and you'll get sick."

Hyunjae was sitting with her head resting on her knees, her whole body shivering with cold. She had a Tupperware filled with banchan- kimchi from the looks of it- beside her, probably as an offering to the mountain gods for looking after Karina.

Jungkook remembered, that Karina's parents had flown back to America after her demise, but due to legal reasons, her body had to be buried in Korea itself. Hyunjae was heartbroken, but she took it as her responsibility to make sure she took proper care of her best friend's rituals so she could find peace and solace wherever she went.

"Hyunjae," Jungkook softened his tone, "let's go home, please."

She sniffled and shook her head. Jungkook repeated his sentence, couching down so that he could convince her to get up from the muck and leave this place. He was pretty sure she had finished offering the banchan.