Chapter THIRTY SEVEN

Shelby Quinn

My bored gaze passes over the other patrons seated all around the ritzy restaurant, dining fine and enjoying their evening.. Completely oblivious to my inner turmoil.. I am not so fortunate as everyone else, instead I am trapped by the mundane drivel of Tyler Bennings.. He drones on as he talks about nothing but himself, all without taking a breath in between humble-brags.. I have never met a more conceited, arrogant and egotistical narcissist in all my years, and that includes pretentious pageant girls, demanding drill sergeants and my perfection-obsessed, vainglorious father..

I had been so fast to assess Logan's stand-offish manner and cocksuredness as arrogance, but now, affronted by the true meaning of the word, I feel more foolish than ever for the way I have been treating him..

"You see, Shelby, Babe, some people have what it takes and others - well, they just lack the kind of ambition that's needed to do business, you feel me?" He shovels a bite of his hundred dollar steak into his mouth, chewing quickly in an attempt to continue his pompous ramblings..

I have met a thousand men like Tyler, insecure and desperate to be validated.. My entire life has consisted of overconfident men talking down to me and pressuring me to fit within the confines of their narrow minded dictatorships.. But when it comes to overzealous, oblivious mediocrity, Tyler Bennings really takes the fucking cake..

"Uh-huh, totally.." I nod half-heartedly as I skim the tip of my finger around the rim of the viognier stemware in front of me.. Somehow my disinterested meagre response is enough to prompt him to continue..

"When I took over the CEO position, people said I was too young. They were scared of my vision for the company." The smug bullshit dribbles from his mouth like a broken faucet.. Honestly, it is as if the guy has no filter and a complete lack of social awareness..

I just need this horrible date to end so I can get back to trying to win back the man who I actually wish was sitting opposite me on a date.. My mind is a chaotic whirlwind of dreamy desire and heartbreaking regret.. I just can't stop thinking about Logan and the way he teased me earlier in the car.. It was almost as if I hadn't tore out his heart and stomped on it..
So maybe I'm not too late... Maybe he will forgive me if I just tell him how I feel..

Yes.. That's it.. No more hiding like a Kentucky-fried-coward.. I'm going to tell him the truth..
I had burned everything down, lit the match and scorched our connection to cinders.. But if I could just get him to hear me, to give me a chance, perhaps we can build our relationship back up even better.. We can start again, with a clean slate.. No more secrets..

"But let me tell you, Shelby, I'm ushering in the dawn of a new era at Blackstar, with innovation at the forefront of our manufacturing process- they'll all see-" Tyler's voice is a droll, monotonous drone that I can hardly stand to tolerate for even a minute longer..

Enough is enough..

"That's great, Tyler-" I check the silver face of my dainty designer watch, finally reaching my breaking point.. He's been talking non stop for the past hour and if he doesn't shut the hell up I'm liable to shoot him in the face just for the quietude of a prison cell and solitary confinement .. Flicking my honeycomb curls back over my shoulder to expose the length of my neck, I sit up straighter, vibrating with impatience.. "So, do you want to fuck me or what?"

His shocked earthy eyes bug out as he chokes on a swallow of his top shelf scotch.. "W-what?"

"It's what we both came here for, isn't it?" I lean forward to lower my voice and without missing a beat his gaze drops to check out my chest.. "I suck your cock and in return Dallas wins the crown.. That's how this works, right?"