Chapter 2

Quaint boutiques in Japan were officially the bane of Kana's wallet. Her arms resembled a clothing rack—one more piece and she'd collapse under the weight of fabric. It was one of those times when she wondered how it would feel like to have a shopping companion or just friends in general. Having someone by her side while she rediscovered the size differences among countries would have been preferable than the miserable hour she had had selecting and reselecting clothes alone.

The staff, although had nothing on their plate, stood there unable to approach her. She had gotten used to these kinds of experiences throughout the recent years.

After a successful shopping trip, Kana weaved through the crowds and into the market where tempura were just fresh out of the fryer. With no mother to make homemade food for her, she was left to fend for herself favoring shortcuts in making her food. Why would she risk the loosing battle with oil splatter?

Udon was next on her shopping list. She was having a pleasant conversation with the vendor when someone bumped into her nearly making her face-plant into a bed of noodles. Large hands against her biceps steadied her.

"Are you okay, little lady?"

"I'm fine, thank—eep!"

The hand was connected to startlingly tall and wide man. It took every bone in Kana's body not to scream murder and turn tail.

"Oh—um, sorry. Thank you," she said while avoiding the man's gaze and hoping he would not notice the sweat beginning to form on her forehead.

"You're okay! I'm Nendo!" Kana took a calming breath. Introductions, basic—she can do that.

"Yasuda Kana. Nice to meet you." She felt like tapping herself on the shoulder for a job well done, proud that she managed to remember that surnames came after first names in Japan.

"I've never seen you before. You look like my age." Oh, the conversation was not over. "Do you go to PK too?" How was this conversation still standing? Who was this man? And did he just say he went to PK too? This man was a high school student?

Moisture gathered between her fingers. She searched her mind for the appropriate response like the socially inept person that she was. "Uh, yes. I'm—er—I do go to PK."

Nailed it.

~

Kana waived good bye to Nendo as they went their separate ways outside the market.

She dumbly stood there for a second soaking in the last few minutes. The feeling of disbelief lingered as her new acquaintance disappeared through the crowd. Or maybe she was just in denial with the fact that her powers didn't work on someone ordinary—in term of special abilities that is. She definitely had the usual effect on the vendors and other customers judging by the dopey looks thrown her way.

On her fingers hung plastic bags filled with Nendo's recommendations of in-season produce. She didn't know what to do with them but she didn't have the heart to say no. She took in the contents and blinked once. Twice. Thrice. They remain as they were.

~

"I wanna try Yasuda-san's bento!" Her what?

Her purple haired classmates, Toritsuka she thinks, exclaim one fine noon and to her horror squeals of agreement chorused around the room. Anxiety spiked at the attention turned her way coupled with undoubtably high expectations.

"I don't think—"

"—We should all bring something for the school festival!—"

"—Nice! Yasuda-san's cooking. I bet it'll taste awesome—"