Know You Better (Fluff)

Pairing: 40s!Bucky Barnes x Rogers!Reader

Summary: Your brother's best friend, Bucky, rescues you at the dance club and walks you home, but you both have feelings that are a bit more than friendly.

Word Count: 2.0k

Warnings: Mention of an attempted assault.

1940

Listening absentmindedly to the brunette seated beside him, Bucky took another drag from his cigarette, his eyes trained on you dancing across the room.

He wasn't sure if you had seen him when you walked in, but he sure as hell did. He couldn't keep his eyes off of you as soon as he caught you walking into the establishment with some of your friends, not even taking six steps into the building without some guy asking you to dance. Although he was there with his own date- a girl he had asked out at the diner yesterday- he regretted it as soon as he saw you in that other man's arms and felt his heart drop to his stomach.

He hated it- thinking that way about you- he knew he shouldn't. He knew it was wrong. You were Steve's sister. There were thousands of eligible ladies in New York and he just had to have feelings for his best friend's little sister.

He should have seen it coming- he had always had a soft spot for you- getting into fights any time someone looked at you the wrong way, making up lies about his sister begging him to ask you to braid her hair just so he could see you without Steve there, and even the simplest things like knowing he laughed harder when you were there laughing along with him.

As much as he hated it, he wasn't the only one who had seen it either- his mom teasing him that one day he was gonna settle down and marry that Rogers girl, him having to slap his hand over his sister's mouth because he just knew the little punk was gonna let it slip one day- he was undeniably soft for you with only you and Steve being none the wiser.

Watching as the guy rested his hand on your lower back, pulling you closer to him, Bucky began to feel his blood boil. Who did this guy think he was anyway? He didn't deserve to hold you close like that. He didn't know you. He didn't know you the way that Bucky did.

As the band continued to drone on in the background, Bucky began to grow tired watching the sight of you two together and was ready to head home until he saw you shake your head adamantly and part from the man, making your way to the far corner of the dance club where the bathrooms were situated, the man you had just been dancing with following behind you.

As soon as you left his line of sight, Bucky put out the cigarette he had been smoking in the ash tray. Cutting off the brunette whose name he couldn't even remember, he pulled out his wallet, leaving cash on the table before standing up.

"It's been nice, doll." He said. "But I'm gonna have to go."

Without another word, he shoved his wallet into his back pocket, striding over to the back corner of the building.

-

Swinging open the door of the bathroom, you saw the man you had just been dancing with waiting right outside the door in the tiny hallway just off the main room.

"Oh!" You exclaimed, bumping into the man you had never caught the name of.

"One more dance?" He asked.

Shaking your head, you chuckled nervously trying to push past him. "No, sorry. I can't." You faux apologized. "My brother's waiting for me at home and I don't wanna worry him."

Just as you attempted to move past him, he pushed you against the wall of the dimly lit hallway and grabbed your hands when you tried to shove him away. Struggling in his grasp you jolted backwards as his head made its way into the crook of your neck.