Chapter 44

Madelaina:

"Can you stop it, already?" I say, exasperated while my mother asks yet another question about Lucas. And me. And me and Lucas.

"But I need to know everything and you've barely given me anything. You keep denying the fact that you like him and I know it's a lie."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot that you bought a time machine and travelled back to the ancient realms of when you were a teenage girl."

"Mock me all you want. I want to know about the love life of my eldest daughter and I don't care if singling myself to gossip gets me what I want."

"Why can't you worry about your own love life?" I whine and throw myself backwards onto my bed, where I had still been, comfortably tucked under my covers. Since it had been ten in the freaking morning, on a Sunday.

It's like I'm the only one who cares about my sleep schedule.

"For your information, my love life is perfectly fine. In fact-"

"Okay! Okay. No need to elaborate on anything."

"I wasn't even going to say anything bad!"

"Don't care. Don't need to know."

"And you call me a teenage girl."

"I am a teenage girl!"

"Whatever."

Oh. My. God.

"Can you please leave now?"

"You still haven't told me the truth."

"I have."

"You like him."

"Dio mio."

"All you have to do is admit it-"

"Fine! I admit it. Happy?"

"You weren't very sincere."

"Out!"

"Okay. But I'm leaving with the answer that you liked him." She prances out of the door and shuts it with a flick of her wrist.

What just happened?

I pull the covers over my head and let out a groan.

Can't she find another hobby that isn't meddling?

Finding my resolve, I decide to get up and get ready.

I text Althea, asking if she can meet me at The Witchery and after her agreeing reply, I set off.

"Stop

"Stop."

"Trust me, I tried."

"This is a joke."