A Modest Proposal Analysis

*Hohoho, this was so fucking funny for me.

This was written for my English 1010 class. We were given two texts: A Modest Proposal by Johnathan Swift and an excerpt of Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua (specifically the NY Times article she wrote). Due to their controversy, the assignment was to select an article, develop a thesis that is for/against the authors point (supported with your OWN reasoning), then write an argumentative paper using the article as your only source. 

If I remember correctly, the essay prompt was "On a large or small scale, do you think it is okay to sacrifice morality for the sake of progress or perfection." My professor stressed that we would have to develop our own definitions of morality, progress, perfection, etcetera and stick to it.

Although I found Chua's article to be interesting especially after researching more about her, I chose Swift's piece because....... haha funny dark humor. 

Trigger warning: Cannibalism, Child Endangerment*

~ ~ ~

In times of prosperity, people are granted freedom. Although it could be assumed that this freedom manifests itself in the privilege of choice, it could be argued that it liberates one from being forced to decide. When money is intertwined with the basic needs for survival, the destitute are painfully aware of this reality. Each decision holds the weight of the world; so, with their limited resources, it is crucial for them to select the best solution. However, there would never be acorrect answer. If the cumulative benefit outweighs the sacrifice, that is sufficient. Within "A Modest Proposal", Johnathan Swift suggested a grime solution: selling their baby as food. Naturally, a person would reel away from the thought of sacrificing children. Alas, in times of desperation, it is essential for poor families to set their morals aside if it alleviates child suffering, provides financial stability, and if there are no alternatives.

Although it seems contradictory, child suffering would be reduced overall if a family decides to partake in Swift's proposal. When a mother knows that she would be unable to care for achild, she must make a difficult decision: should she bring the child to term or terminate the pregnancy? The church reveres children as a blessing from God; however, it is a curse for the destitute families of Ireland. Bringing a baby into the world forces a family to accommodate an additional human. Clothes, food, fresh water, and medicine are all high expenses for someone who is unable to contribute to the family's earnings for approximately six years. If she has other children, they are needlessly punished with less resources to offset the cost of the newborn. As a result, the mother may consider an abortion as the necessary course of action; however, she risks losing her life. When her other children depend on her, it would be cruel if they were left to fend for themselves. Furthermore, if the child manages to survive, their childhood would be ripped away from them. While they are still incredibly young, each of these children would be tasked withthe partial responsibility of supporting their family. Considering that they may lack a formal education, the jobs available to them would consist of begging, servitude, or crime. The ones that manage to do this consistently are the lucky ones. Often, the poor youth of Ireland are left to, "pineaway for want of nourishment to a degree that if at any time they are accidentally hired to common labor, they have not strength to perform it" (Swift 9). It is apparent that growing up in the lowest class is only a life of constant suffering. Due to this, the insistence upon preserving the life of the infant without regard to their life thereafter is hypocritical. Therefore, ending the child's life while they are still young would be mutually beneficial to the child and their family.

Additionally, the proposal would provide these families with another source of income. As a result of their economic status, Ireland's impoverished citizens have limited options for work or financial support. In general, education is the bridge to stable careers; however, this was never an opportunity granted to them. When someone is born into a poor family, their own children are likely to be poor as well. Consequently, generational poverty forces newer generations into undesirable trades due to no fault of their own. Many people would end up in occupations with lowand unreliable income. For instance, a year of begging would only amount to approximately two shillings. Generally, raising a baby for the same length of time also costs this amount. If the needs of other family members are not considered, it is still nearly impossible to support oneself and a growing child on this salary. Although the idea is cruel, Swift's proposal does offer more flexibility to the poor. Even though selling a newborn is not ideal, it would be difficult to deny its financial benefit. Since birth is a natural process that does not require skill, the majority would have the ability to benefit from this source of income. If a woman is young, healthy, and consents to this, then "no gentleman would repine to give ten shillings for the carcass of a good fat child" (Swift 8). In comparison to begging, this earned the family five times more income. Realistically, constantly having children would take a toll on a woman's body; even so, the option itself would be a blessing to many people. Despite not being a continuous source of income, money earned could be put towards food, housing, healthcare, and other necessities. Overall, this provides better financial support to one's family especially when compared to other forms of labor.

Moreover, if they ran out of options, then the low-class families of Ireland should be able touse this method without judgement. Indeed, it would be difficult for a family to give up their children as they are the most vulnerable and helpless members of society. Yet without wealth and away to advocate for themselves, these parents are forced to watch their children starve to death. Prior to Swift's proposal, mothers and their children littered the streets of Ireland. Each one of them pleaded to a deaf world for salvation. In Ireland, there was a "vast number of poor people who are aged, diseased, or maimed [that] are every day dying and rotting by cold and famine, and filth and vermin, as fast as can be reasonably expected" (Swift 9). Out of everyone in society, the poor are enduring the ghastliest forms of suffering. While they are constantly faced with the possibility of sickness and death, the wealthy concern themselves with preserving their own comfort and riches. Even Swift ingenuously claims, "I profess, in the sincerity of my heart, that I have not the least personal interest in endeavoring to promote this necessary work, having no other motive than the public good of my country, by giving some pleasure to the rich" (Swift 12). False Samaritans, such as him, shroud their motives with a front of kindness while they lead thousands of their people to the grave. If the poor were able to rely on their country to support them, they would not even think of forsaking their children. However, they are judged for the small necessary decisions they make without being offered the support they need. Unlike the leaders and politiciansof Ireland, the sacrifices the poor are forced to make are selfless decisions made for the greater good of their family.

In any event, judging the poor for attempting to survive is cruel and unjust. In times of famine or economic decline, the lowest classes would be hit the hardest. Unfortunately, death, disease, and starvation are all things they know too well. It is terrifying; and like anyone else, they only wish for their family to make it out alive. Considering this, judging them for making the most painful of decisions is insensitive to them and the family they lost. When it is to save their children and support their family in a world that ignores their suffering, having "morals" means death. In the end, they are only trying to do what is best.