Flowers

*This was written for my 10th English Honor's class. It actually got published! I forgot the title though....*

~ ~ ~

My sister is completely different from me. Just like a flower, my sister has a beautiful smile that attracts many people. However, that smile was only a mask for manipulation. I lived with my sister long enough to know that she would do anything in order to have her way. Her reign of terror would have no exceptions. She would pull on the heartstrings of the young, the old, the lovesick and even her own mother in order to get free food without feeling remorse for the possible damages that she might of caused. Those people she controlled only loved the cover of the book, whilst I  read and analysed the book. I knew the horrible truth about my "prodigious" sister and still, I loved everything about her.

When outside, my sister is a kind and respectable young lady that is rather successful. I went and asked that same young lady to take my picture. It would've been easier outside, since it would display a loving family with a close relationship. Strangers would love such a display, but only I could feel the aggression behind her actions. However, we were inside that night and my sister was a rude and lazy child. She ranted like a grumpy old man and rolled around her bed claiming that her college work was more important (despite making no effort to do it). It took a lot of time energy to convince her to take my picture. It's not that she dislikes photography, she just prefers to have herself as her primary model. Every picture of herself she would claim to be a masterpiece. All we would hear is SNAP SNAP SNAP then BOAST BOAST BOAST. This went on for at least 30 minutes until she was reminded that I needed a picture. When she finally decided to focus on me, took a gazillion pictures of me in my pajamas before she told me to change. Every picture was terrible. What!! YOU CAN'T SMILE? NOOO! Don't make that face, you look like a pervert old man.

I went from outfit to outfit as the beams shining through the curtain began to fade. Each one she judged with a hint of her typical snarky remarks. YOU LOOK TOO EDGY. NO NOT THAT ONE! YOU LOOK LIKE A HURT MOTHER. As time passed, I got more annoyed and less cooperative. I eventually gave up and started to browse hundreds of photos which could fill a decent portfolio four times. BUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Look at that one! It's so stupid! We all laughed in unison. The photos weren't necessarily bad, they only did not display what we were looking for. We came to a consensus and chose one of the photos of me in the second outfit. I didn't like this picture. That person there wasn't me. However, I knew it would be better to show an engineered version of me instead of the truth. Just like my sister, I wore a mask to get the best results.

I love my sister. We grew up closer than flowers in a garden. We all have different colors, but each one isn't inferior to the other. Every one of us has our own positive characteristics and our own negative characteristics. Once your boil it down, we are all the same.