Act Part II: Viridity

You thought you were more athletic and had more stamina in this life but, oh boy, you forgot what a beast Yoriichi actually is. While you are gasping for your dear life, he looks not even in the slightest bit fazed about the fact that you two have been running for hours with little to no break in between. That has to be plot armor, right? Where is your magical superpower again?

That's seriously a bit unfair.

Yet, there's nothing that you can do other than let yourself be dragged by the hand through the province of Japan, you would drown yourself when you miss Uta just because your lazy ass wasn't able to keep up with Yoriichi. After this is over, you'll need an oxygen tent.

"I can carry you if you're exhausted [Name]." How does he even manage to talk while running for so long? You will never know, especially not when you're on the brink of another death. Doesn't matter that his voice is laced with worry for you.

"It's ok." You rasp out, ignoring how much your lungs burn. It does sound nice to not have your tiny legs work for you but ugh, you would feel bad, probably, maybe? "Just let's keep going."

Shortly after you managed with all your last energy to even answer him, you pump into his back, stumbling from the impact. You're quite sure your face would have met the ground if it weren't for Yoriichi holding onto your hand so tightly. He deadpans at you, it has to be crystal clear to him that you're not alright at all.

You suddenly feel like a child that disappointed her parents once again under his gaze. Man, since when does he have such a disapproving parent look? He is seven, for fuck's sake, he shouldn't have mastered it already. Well, maybe it's because he knows you, and that's why. A sigh falls from his lips, wow, he sounds so done and it's been only a few hours.

You bite down on your lip as you take in your surroundings. Maybe it's been longer than a few hours, according to how the sun is mercilessly shining down on you. No wonder you're sweating like a pig.

"You look as if you will collapse any moment," Yoriichi mumbles while turning around and crouching down. "Let me carry you."

Never saw his back look so inviting to you. But, but, but, can he really carry you and two bags? "Are you sure?"

"Yes." This is the only answer you get from him.

Well, who are you to say no to a free ride? Either way, it's not like with you crawling behind that you will be faster, and damn, you're tired as hell. This young body of yours truly needs its beauty sleep.

So you launch yourself at him, as gently as possible, and curl your arms around him. You mumble a small thanks, before relishing in the warmth of his body. He grabs your legs tightly while hosting you up.

"Are you comfortable?" He asks, taking some experimental steps, before starting to jog along the road.

You smile to yourself at that, it's so typical of him. He tends to always make sure you're alright, but then again you're not one bit better. you don't know why but you don't want him to ever be uncomfortable or sad. Not on your watch. "Shouldn't I be the one asking that?"

He squeezes your leg in confirmation, concentrating on not falling or stumbling while you're on his back and your mind drifts to the scenery around you.

Since you woke up in this world, all you have ever known was either the Tsugikuni or the Ōzora household. You never noticed how suffocated you felt, but now? It feels as if you can finally breathe, the landscape is by all means nothing unfamiliar, same old trees, same old flowers. Yet, they look so much more appealing after losing the chains that were called Ōzora. Now you're just [Name], and nothing more.