Chapter 21

Steve picked me up practically right after breakfast, as he wanted to be alone for a bit before we got Robin. I told him how my grandpa had wanted to have words with his dad. We talked about the events together, expressed ourselves completely to each other and I felt better. We arrived at Robin's to pick her up and then we went to Family Video for getting jobs. Robin and I were hired right away but Keith was not letting go his grudge against Steve in high school. Robin had asked Steve to step away for a bit, he was confused so I just grabbed his arm.

"Come on, do as the lady says" I said, pulling him to look at the movies in the store.

After a few minutes Robin smiled over at us with a thumbs up, whatever she said had worked and Keith agreed to give Steve the job too. We celebrated with ice cream before heading to the Byers to help them pack. Joyce sold the house and they were moving to California. She was taking Eleven with her. We would all miss them but understood that so much has happened here and it was better for them to move on. Nancy and I were packing some dishes in the kitchen.

"So you and Steve are dating now? Some friend you are" Nancy said as she put a dish in a box.

"Excuse me?" I replied, taken aback.

"Friends don't usually date their friend's ex boyfriends."

"You're the one who asked me to get to know him when you guys were dating, so I did. It turned out he wasn't like I first thought he was. Then after you broke up with him and started dating my friend, the first one I made here by the way. You two spent all your time together, I had no one...but Steve."

"You're the one that didn't want to make friends when you came, it's not my fault you didn't have more."

"Well I became friends with you and Steve, so yeah we hung out a few times because we both were left out of the Nancy and Jonathan show. It's not like we started dating right after your breakup, I had a boyfriend and Steve was really hurting, he loved you. He needed a friend, I happened to be the one around at the time. Seeing as he left his other friends after seeing how awful they were."

"And you think that makes it okay to move in on him?"

"I didn't move in on him, not like that and certainly not right away. When I was dumped by Scott, Steve saw me upset and tried to cheer me up, returning the favor. When I found out I was cheated on, he found me angry and hurt so gave up his entire day just to spend it with me so that I was distracted and didn't have to feel pain. I tried calling you, but no answer. I can guess where you were, so yeah Steve and I began to hang out from then on. I didn't even realize I had feelings for him until after prom. He could have asked any girl to be his date or even just skipped it cause I mean what guy is really all that into going to senior prom? But he didn't ask someone else he took me, we went as friends because that is what we were. We had a great time, and I realized that night that I liked him as more than a friend. But I kept it to myself, because I didn't know if he was over you yet, if he thought of me that way or if he just liked me as a friend and I didn't want to hurt you."

I looked right at her, I had no intentions of hurting her or even falling for Steve. But it happened and I was not regretting it at all. She put more dishes in the box as I finished speaking, I took a deep breath before continuing on.

"When he was working at Scoops Ahoy, I saw him flirting with other girls and knew that he was over you then. I told myself he wasn't into me since he was flirting with others. But I was wrong, he was flirting because he thought I didn't have the same feelings he did. He didn't want to ruin the friendship we had made over feelings that might not have been mutual."

Nancy then began to realize that the relationship Steve and I entered into was not taken lightly, or rushed into. But it had taken months of building a friendship first. She looked at me and I just shrugged.