[42] checkmate

┌─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───┐
chapter forty-two!
CHECKMATE
└─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───┘

( the divine move, pt

( the divine move, pt. ii )

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

EVEN IN THE PALE, dim lighting of a half-covered moon, Stiles looks like death. The little remaining color in his face has continued to drain with each passing hour. He constantly trembles from the sheer force it takes him to stand upright. As he exits the backseat of the Jeep, he stumbles and catches himself on a nearby bicycle rack. Dominic immediately flees his car to throw one of Stiles's arms around his shoulders and keep him on his feet.

Vera and Dominic had tried to spend the day preparing for battle, but it's difficult when they still don't have a perfect plan. All they have is the ticking clock that marks another second where Stiles's energy drains.

Now, looking at him clearly in so much pain makes her heart break for her friend. She's already lost Erica, Boyd, and Allison. Stiles's demise would be unbearable.

Vera catches Dom's eye. They share a grave expression as the gravity of the situation settles into their bones. Unable to hold her gaze for long, Dom tears his away and adjusts his grip on Stiles. Despite being shorter, he's much more muscular, able to hold the teetering boy upright without much effort.

Scott does a quick head count before taking a step toward the school. Before he can take another, Stiles stops him.

"Scott, hold on," he says. His voice sounds like it's taking everything in him to raise it above a whisper. "I know what you're all thinking— if this works, it might kill me, too. But even if it does, you have to go through with it. Stick with the plan, okay?"

"The plan is to save you," Scott replies. "That's the plan I'm going with."

Stiles nods. The group walks slowly toward the side entrance of the building, about to push them open, when the sound of tires screeching on pavement interrupts them. Vera turns and throws her hand in front of her face when headlights blind her. An antique-looking car, likely some 70s or 80s model, swerves into the parking lot. It almost spins out in the process, creating rubber streaks on the asphalt. The driver doesn't even bother with steering it into a parking space. They stop it in the middle of the lot and kill the engine with a pathetic sputter.

Vera glances at the others to see if any of them have answers, but they all look just as confused as she is. The only one missing from their group is Isaac; they didn't expect anyone else to be here.

When the driver exits the vehicle, Vera finds herself with more questions than she'd had before. Because the person tossing their keys in hand and running toward them is Sebastian Balotelli. And Kaito McCoy — Scott's Good Samaritan — is in tow, jogging after him with something in her hand that Vera can't see in the darkness.