22. Chapter : Memento Vivere

"Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many: the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."

-Phaedrus

~

"Hey Naruto, I came back." He greeted the sleeping blond and sat down only to stand up hastily after noticing a looming shadow over him.

"Who the hell are you ?!"

~

The figure that loomed over him suddenly chuckled. Sasuke was so confused right now, but he was ready punch the intruder.

"What are you doing here ? Your not from Akatsuki are you ?" Sasuke demanded and the figure didn't answer, instead just flickered the lights on to the room, so Sasuke could see who the figure is.

"Indeed I am from Akatsuki, but I do not intend on any harm being inflicted on Naruto." A woman's voice filled the room. Sasuke opened his mouth but in his shock he couldn't form any words.

"You are Uchiha Sasuke, correct ?" Sasuke just nodded.

"My name is Konan. I was Naruto's part time roommate before he moved." The woman with beautiful amber eyes and purple hair informed the raven.

"You you you lived with Naruto ?" He asked and Konan nodded.

"Why are you here now then ? How did you found out where Naruto is ?" The woman sat on the stool next to Naruto's bed and stroked the blonde's hair while a small smile was displayed on her face.

"I was contacted by Pain." To this Sasuke was about to yell. "He thought that I'd do anything he ordered to. He called from the jail, using a code so the guards wouldn't understand. He ordered me to dispose Naruto. I wasn't planning to, so I called the police officer that caught Pain, and told about Pain still ordering people from behind the bars. They strip Pain from using any form of communication to the outside world." She took a breath while Sasuke took in every piece of information he could.

"Why is this Pain guy so fixated on destroying Naruto ?" Sasuke asked and Konan spared a glance towards him, but lowered her almost golden eyes towards the sleeping blonde.

"Pain's real name is Yahiko. Before he was Pain. He was my friend. My childhood friend along with a guy called Nagato." Sasuke's finger twitched.

"You mean the Nagato, Naruto's cousin who died ?" Konan frowned and her eyes hardened.

"Yes, he was also my boyfriend, so we were close with Naruto. " Sasuke nodded and Konan continued. "After Nagato died in an accident he was with Naruto, Yahiko changed. He blamed Naruto for the death of his friend, and started acting out. He was always little too brash and a bit violent, and it got worse. It continued to the point where Naruto left the village and moved in here. I felt guilty for not helping him when he needed it, so I was planning on coming to visit him, just to make sure he was doing alright." She drew in a breath.

"It seems that Pain's gang followed him here, so the bastard could have his 'revenge'." Sasuke clenched his fists.

"How can that asshole blame him from Nagato's death if it was an accident !" Sasuke hissed trying really hard not to yell in frustration. Konan sighed and took a hold of Naruto's limp hand, tracing his knuckles.

"Nagato pushed Naruto out of the way..There was this large truck, and it's brakes were apparently broken. Naruto didn't notice it until it was too late but Nagato saved him. That's why Pain went after Naruto." Sasuke took a gulp of water from his bottle and ran a hand through his hair.

"Pain is an asshole. There's no way that was Naruto's fault, if Nagato chose to save his cousin." Konan nodded and kissed Naruto's knuckles and stood up.

"Thank you for loving him." She whispered and Sasuke nodded. She was about to open the room's door when they heard grunt. Both of the occupants of the room turned their heads towards the bed.

~

Itachi had just arrived back to their house, exhausted. Still, the raven couldn't sleep yet, he had to confirm one thing.

'Maybe it's in here...' He thought as he climbed up the stairs with a yawn. He stretched his arms and walked inside a small room they have used for storage. He flipped open a few documents, sorted out few boxes of papers and photo albums until he found what he was looking for.

'Here it is..' He took the folder out of the small brown box and opened it. Inside, was a bunch of documents about the Namikaze corps. The company had been 'put on hold', when Minato died. Only Namikaze left was Naruto, and Itachi doubted him wanting to lead a huge company.

On one of the documents, it stated that all of the financial bank accounts would be at the hands of the last Namikaze alive, until he would turn twenty-one. Which he isn't. He had just turned seventeen, so that would take awhile.

Itachi looked at the Namikaze/Uzumaki private bank account information, which Minato had left for the Uchiha family, mainly Fukagu though. The two were good friends so Minato entrusted everything to them in case something happened.

'Paranoid..' Itachi mentally grumbled and flipped a few pages. There it was written. The amount of money that Naruto would be handed when he turned eighteen, before the company funds.

'Kushina-san and Minato-san were filthy rich...' Itachi awed when he saw about five zeros on the sum. He shook his head. He would have to talk about all of this with Naruto. Why were his parents dead, and how they died. He had looked online about their deaths, but there wasn't anything that would've revealed anything. It just stated that the investigation was still on going.

'So they were killed when Naruto was about twelve...Why ...Well they were rich, but was that the only reason .. Why is Naruto alive then ?' Many questions needed to be answered and as Itachi finally descended on to his soft mattress, the final thought going through his mind was the murder of Naruto's parents.

~

"Na-naruto ?" Sasuke stuttered. Konan was right next to him.

"Ugh, my head..."

~

AN//: Next on the update list is Tough Love (SasuNaru)

Peace out,

Naru__chan