Chapter 5

When Sydney told me what happened, it broke my heart. Knowing all that she has had to go through all in one year... no one should have to go through that. 

   I sat on my knees in front of her, gently rubbing her legs while Tatum bent down, "Sid... we're gonna get you out of here, okay?"

   I looked over to see what Dewey was doing and saw him handing a black piece of fabric to the sheriff.

   "They sell this costume at every five-and-dime in the state. There's no way to track the purchase." I overheard.

   "What about that cellular phone bill?" The sheriff asked.

   "We're pulling Loomis' account. We wont know anything until the morning."

   The sooner they figure it out the better. I knew Billy didn't do this, this kind of pain and suffering wasn't something he would want to cause. All they needed to do was track the phone number and get ahold of Sydney's dad.

   "Hey Dewey, can we go now?" Tatum asked annoyed. We had all been there a long time.

   He lifted up a finger to her, "Hold on a second."

   "God damn it Dewey!" She protested. A few other officers looked up from their desks.

   "What did Mama tell you? When I wear this badge, you treat me like a man of the law!"

   Even in such bad circumstances, I smiled slightly down at the ground while Sydney closed her eyes.

   "Im sorry, Deputy Dewey-Boy, but we're ready to go," Tatum said firmly as she stood up with me and Sydney. "Now, okay!"

   "Take 'em out the back way to avoid that circus out there." The sherif said to Dewey as Tatum dragged him out and Sydney wiped the rest of her tears from her eyes.

   Even from the back of the building, the shouts from all the people were loud. Dozens of reporters running around trying to get a good shot, and civilians standing around trying to figure out what was going on.

   "You guys just stay here while I go and get the car." Dewey said while rushing off. "D-Dont make a sound." We were only able to stand in the cold for a few seconds before someone had found us.

   "There she is. Sydney!" I heard from behind me. We all turned around to see Gale Weathers, of all people, running towards us with her cameraman flashing a bright light behind her. "Hi, that's some night. What happened? Are you all right?"

   Tatum and I took a small step in front of Sydney, "She's not answering any questions, all right. Just leave us alone."

   I felt Sydney softly push us aside, "No," she said. "It's okay. She's just doing her job right, Gale?"

   Gale had on the same shocked expression as me and Tatum, not expecting Sydney to be on her side. 

   "Yes, thats right." She answered with a small smile, pushed the microphone in her hand towards Sydney as other reporters gathered behind. I softly grabbed Sydney's arm,

   "Syd, we can just leave if you want."

   Gale looked at me with excited eyes. "Well looks like we have both survivors here tonight."

   I just looked at her saying nothing, hoping Sydney would listen to me and we would just walk away. 

   "How's the book?" She asked, ignoring what I had said. 

   Gale looked back at her with a surprised look on her face, "Well, it'll be out later this year."

   "Oh, I'll look for it." Sydney said, starting to walk away.

   "I'll send you a copy!"

   At that, Sydney turned suddenly and punched Gale's smug expression right off her face. She went falling right inter her camera man and the crowd, looking up at her in shock. Dewey finally came up with the car and pulled us all quickly away.

   "Where'd you learn to punch like that?"

                                                                                               ...

   Sydney was going to spend the night at Tatum's tonight since Dewey was there, and most likely would until her dad was found. They asked me if I wanted to come too but I wanted to be alone. Ever since what happened at Casey's I haven't really been left alone. With the new teams following me around, and people constantly asking if I'm okay. I needed to try and rap my mind around all thats happened in the span of a week. I think Im still in shock from what happened to me, and now to add onto that Sydney got attacked. 

   We pulled up to my house and Dewey turned around to look at me. "Are you sure you don't want to spend the night too, Y/n? You'll have an officer to protect you." He tried to convince me.

   "Im sure." I said smiling softly and turned to Sydney to hug her tightly, "Everything will be okay. We'll get through this." 

   I stepped out of the car and closed the door. I leaned in through the window and kissed Tatum on the cheek goodbye and walked up to the house. Dewey made sure to stay put until he saw I had gone in and shut the door all the way behind me.

   Slowly walking up the stairs to my room after locking the door, I rubbed my face feeling the exhaustion from the day finally hit me. I opened the door to my room and went straight to my closet to change into something comfortable. 

   Walking out changed and ready for bed, I heard a loud noise at the window. I froze and started to think of all the bad things that could happen to me because I was stupid and didn't go with Dewey.  An outline of a figure outside of the window was visible. I slowly backed away towards the closet when I heard a familiar voice.   

   "Y/n open the window, I'm fucking freezing."

   A sigh of relief left my body as I quickly went to the window to open it. The cold air hit me as his tall body tried to get through my small window.

   "Stu, what are you doing here?" I asked. 

   "I heard what happened and wanted to see if you were okay." He replied, raising himself to his full height. 

   "You should go check on your girlfriend and Sydney not me. She's the one who got attacked anyway."

   " I know but I also wanted to apologize for being a dick today."

   "Stu it's fine, I know you didn't mean anything." I smiled up at him. He stared at me smiling for a moment before looking down.  

   "And uh... my parents are out of town and I knew yours were too, and with everything that's going on I just thought maybe I could stay here tonight."

   I smiled at him and nodded, "Yeah I'm cool with it as long as Tatum is."

   "Oh yeah I already called her about it." He said avoiding eye contact as he ran excitedly to the bed and jumping onto it. 

    It was sweet he was staying tonight. Maybe he was just as scared as the rest of us and just trying to hide it with his stupid jokes. It's also comforting to have such a big guy here while a psycho is God knows where.

   He was moving pillows around so they were the way he liked while I got another blanket. We had many sleepovers before he was in a relationship and when we were younger, so I'm comfortable being in the same bed as him.

   I slipped into bed and got comfortable as he watched smiling. I closed my eyes and was able to sleep normally for the first time in days.