Chapter One

How did I get here?  You asked yourself. Sitting in the ball pit of the daycare, kids throwing balls at your head, you could do nothing but smile. Screams of excitement, laughter, crying—the kids were everywhere. They infested the area like ants at a picnic. Except these "ants" were a lot louder. And wayyyyy more destructive.

You climbed your way out of the pit, wondering if this is how it felt in the trenches.

Something bonked the back of your head and you turned to see a red, plastic ball rolling away. Looking behind you, you saw a snotty faced boy staring at you from the middle of the pit.

Oh, so that's how you wanna play? You looked up at the window where the parents were. You didn't see anyone watching. What perfect timing.

You snatched the red ball up and faced the kid. You were very thankful for the dodgeball training you received during sixth grade PE class. It had prepared you for this moment.

Pulling your arm back, you whipped the ball right at that snotty little kid's face. It hit him in the middle of the forehead and bounced off. It was like a dramatic movie. Everything was in slow-mo, the kid collapsed to the floor, all the other bug-eyed kids stopped and turned dramatically.

Together, we watched as the empire fell and the world crumbled.

Before you knew it, you were hiding in the playhouses, holding one of those blocks that daycare animatronic liked to stack. Plastic balls whizzed past in every direction. There were screams and crying. Lots and lots of crying.

That snotty faced kid sat in the middle of it all, bawling his eyes out. You looked around for another plastic ball but these kids were war fighting machines. No ball ever touched the ground. Wherever a ball fell, there was a kid right below it. Either they caught it in their hands or they caught it with their face—there was no in between.

"Y/N! Children, stop it, we're supposed to be having a fun time— hey! Who threw that?"

Great.

Turning around, you saw Sun running around the daycare. He tried vainly to stack those stupid blocks, but the kids kept bulldozing into them. On purpose or by accident, you couldn't tell. Sun tried to reason and direct the kids to a more quiet, peaceful activity. But he kept getting bonked in the head instead.

"You're not listening!" Sun yelled in a panic, chasing a toddler around with crayons and paper. "Let's draw unicorns and rainbows! I heard it's very therapeutic—"

Rolling your eyes, you shifted your position. It was cramped in this tiny space, especially since you held a giant block on your lap. You were surprised no one noticed the war these kids were going through down here. There were children-veterans dying by the second. Most of them probably had concussions, at this point.

"There you are."

Something grabbed you from behind and dragged you out of your hiding spot.

"Stop!" you yelled, "I'm gonna get caught in the crossfire!" You curled into a ball. As if that would protect you. You looked up to see Sun with his hands on his hips.

"Explain yourself," he snapped, "Why are my dear children attacking each other?"

"...pent up anger and neglect?"

Sun sighed. "Y/N..."

"They've never had the privilege of being understood," you cried, "They speak Simish and love chaos. Two negative things to stay away from. And their parents knew that."

"Y/N! What did you do?"

"I did nothing!" you replied, "All I did was give them the space to communicate."  A ball flew past your head and smacked a blonde toddler in the eye. "They're finally saying what they needed to say."