𝓓𝓻𝓸𝓹𝓵𝓮𝓽𝓼 𝓸𝓷 𝓪 𝓓𝓮𝔀𝔂 𝓐𝓾𝓽𝓾𝓶𝓷 𝓜𝓸𝓻𝓷 {𝓖𝓮𝓷𝓼𝓱𝓲𝓷}

Droplets on a Dewy Autumn Morn
↳Genshin Impact oneshot
↳character focuses: h. kanao, k. kazuha, s. heizou
↳tags/themes: comfort fluff, brief angst, death described in detail but it's not real, slight panic attack, nightmare comfort, self worth/value issues, established relationship, basil is fucking touch starved and rotting with kazuheinao and definately projecting because voids brain refuses to stop thinking of a bunch of pixels

It's on the shorter side, but I still love them omfg <3

✿❯────「✿」────❮✿

"It seems brats like you never learn how to behave. No matter how much I seem to take, you never seem to listen..." Her sultry voice spoke above Kanao's muffled screams. Her turquoise eyes were red and puffy as tears continously streamed down her cheeks. The sound of yet another body collapsing to the ground, cold and unmoving was a deafening sound in her ears. Her body shook as she strained against the binds that held her back. Her pupils dilated with fear as they met the dull lifeless green eyes that once lit of with mischievous delight. Maroon hair once fluffed up and soft now caked in blood and frost. Supple ivory skin once smooth and warm to the touch now frostbitten and dead. To her left face down wrapped in a wreath of ice-tipped thorns lay a corpse with platinum hair in a crimson sea. Hair once soft and flowing in the wind now matted and caked with blood. Eyes that once reflected the gorgeous view of a maple tree in full autumn now carried no life at all. To her right two young corpses hung swaying gently, only the sounds of rope creaking and the faint dripping sound of blood splattering below them. Two bodies not even old enough to be considered adults yet, not fully grown, not yet ready to pass on.

Despite how Kanao screamed and cried out, the corpses gave no response. The light from the two anemo vision bearers now snuffed out along with their life. Two children not even old enough to live a life on their own, gone far too soon. Kanao's throat hurt and she felt nauseous. Still, the sultry woman stood over her triumphantly.

"This is what happens when you meddle in places you shouldn't belong. You thought you could take me on, but instead I took everything from you! What a twist in fate, dear child. Now you have nothing, no one. All because you failed to protect all that you love. It's all. your. fault."

Kanao longed to hold them all, grief overwhelming her, but no matter how many time she pulled on her restraints, they wouldn't budge. Scapino laughed at her feeble attempts, almost pitying the poor girl.

"If you want to hold them so badly, then you might as well join them in the afterlife. Consider this mercy granted to you by the Tsaritsa herself, because this is the closest you'll ever get to her. Bye bye, sweet butterfly."

「✿」

As her dream faded, Kanao shot upright and let out a horrified yelp, now fully awake. She brought a hand up to her mouth to stiffly the shaky sobs that escaped her lips. She rocked slowly back and forth, her breathing quick and shallow as her thoughts raced with the graphic images still painted clearly in her mind's eye. Panicked, she glanced around to gather her surrounding with what little she could take in from the surrounding darkness. A shiver ran down her spine as she felt a pair of arms wrap around her waist, and a second around her shoulders. A gentle pressure on the top of her head pulled her attention and she focused on the warm feeling of the embrace. A weak whimper escaped her lips as she felt tears prickle at the corner of her eyes still, but her breathing began to slow to a more moderate pace. A soft voice quiet her through a few deep breaths, in, and out. In, and out.

"Just like that." Heizou spoke as he brushed his thumb gently across Kanao's knuckles, his arms still wrapped firmly-yet still gently-around her waist. Kazuha placed gentle kisses atop Kanao's head, trailing down to her temple.

"My Dove, what has left you so distraught?" He spoke calmly as he tenderly brushed Kanao's hair with his fingers.

Kanao sniffled as she turned and buried her face into Kazuha's chest. "It was awful. I-I lost you both.....and Haru and Hima....she took you all away and I......I couldn't do anything. I was weak, powerless to stop her, a-and I...." She choked out a broken sob, causing both Heizou and Kazuha to pull her closer into a tight hug.

"But you didn't lose us, now did you? We're both still here, still breathing." Heizou murmured softly. "Haru and Hima are fine too."

"Yes. You see, it was only a bad dream." Kazuha reassured as he placed his forehead onto hers. Heizou planted a kiss on the top of her head as he ran his fingers gingerly against her shoulders. "Nao, I promise you that whatever you witnessed will not happen."

"Mhm, we'll make sure of it. We have made promises to one another, and the fate that binds is not a cord so easily cut."

The three stayed in each other's arms for a while as Kanao calmed down and grounded herself. The lavender-haired woman murmured a few apologies and appreciative compliments as she brushed the reminents of tears from her eyes.

"Come now, dear partners. Lay back down and let's go back to sleep." Heizou's voice came muddled and weary. "I'm sure we all have busy days tomorrow, so let's sleep while we still can, m'kay?" The two agreed and slowly settled back down into the nest of blankets and tangled limbs. They all whispered their good night loves and soon the trio drifted back off to sleep intertwined with one another till the sun began to poke rays reflected upon the dew droplets on this cool autumn morn.