Flower Shops

Mister, I'll take your roses
If you cut off the thorns, she can't take no more
I'll buy violets and daisies to hide all the crazy, it's gonna take all you've got
Aw, it's a bad day for love, but a good day for flower shops

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I was hosting a fundraiser at work for the cancer ward. Specifically children, along with their families, that wouldn't be able to enjoy this holiday at home, wrapped in the warmth of their fireplace and the smell of a warm berry pie coming out of the oven. Instead, they would be wearing hospital gowns, smelling the turkey from the cafeteria. I was holding a fundraiser to help raise money for Christmas gifts, and a special feast, to help remind them that they were exceptional individuals, and deserved just as much love as those of us at home, if not more.

One of my lifelong friends owns a bakery, "Mama's Kitchen." Rory had partnered up with me, and was going to bake dozens of tarts, pies, cookies, etc. Every sale was going straight to the Christmas fund.

I was in a rush that afternoon, and almost forgot to stop by and pick up the delicious goodies. I didn't have time to change out of my FIGS jogger scrubs, with my name embroidered on the front. I didn't typically like wearing my scrubs around town, but what the hell, I didn't have time to focus on my appearance.

I opened the door to the bakery I spent so much time in, to hear the little bell at the top jingle. It was such a warm and cozy bakery, and especially now with all of the Christmas decor Rory had put up.

"Hey Rory! How have you been?" I asked as I made my way to the counter with the numerous boxes waiting for my arrival.

"I've been good hun, how have you been?" She responded. "All of the goodies are ready to go. I couldn't be more blessed that you asked me to partner with you, for such an amazing cause."

I reached out to grab her hand, with a small smile presenting itself on my features. "We're making a difference, one small step at a time."

We began making small talk about what we had both been up to with work, our personal lives, the usual. The bell came again not long after.

"Yeah, and my mom said this bakery is to die for. So if you have a sweet tooth, this is the place to be!" We heard a manly voice come up from behind us.

"Yeah, you know I have a sweet tooth man. In fact, let's try something right now." And yet, another male voice.

The two men made their way to the display case beside me, all but drooling over all of the delicious pastries on display before them.

"Something I can get you boys?" Rory asked sweetly. She was always so friendly.

One of the men locked eyes with her, and seemed to lose his voice.

"Uh. Ahem. Yeah, sorry to interrupt ladies. Can we have two of your triple berry mini pies?" He gave her a showcase of a smile. I saw a hint of pink tinge her cheeks. It caused a soft smile to form on my face.

"Well, thanks again, Rory. Will I see you at any point of the fundraiser later?" I asked, needing to get back to the hospital.

"Yeah, I'll stop by later to drop off some business cards, and meet some of the families. Thanks again, Blake!" She shouted as she was placing the pies in a container for the two men.

I grabbed the boxes and attempted to make my way out of the door and to my Explorer parked out front.

"Here, let me help you with these," the other man said. The man not obsessed with Rory, that is.