Six

That evening, Mark walked towards the Training Grounds with more bravado than he could ever expect. In the hours between his last conversation with his friends until now, he had somehow managed to convince himself that maybe, just maybe he wasn’t infatuated with Donghyuck like he thought he was at all.

As Mark kept walking, he started contemplating other possibilities. Maybe, it was much too soon to jump to such rash conclusions. Maybe, in the heat of the adrenaline, he had mistaken his excitement for some other feelings. Maybe, it was his first time meeting a slightly strange person so his brain justified for his lack of social skills by making him constantly think about that person. Maybe, he wouldn’t have to worry about causing any turmoil as a Gryffindor after all. Maybe–

A pair of soft, small hands suddenly snuck around his face and covered his eyes. Before he could be startled, he felt a lingering breath on his ear, followed by a familiar voice in the gentlest whisper:
Guess who?

The hands removed themselves, and then Lee Donghyuck was in front of him, smiling brightly and standing much closer than he’d ever intended for them to be.

Mark's heart did a complete 180, plummeted in its cavern, rose back up and did a few flips before slamming against chest full force.

Haha, nope.

H-h-hey,” Mark said smoothly.

You’re awfully timely, Mr. Mark Lee,” Donghyuck drawled out his name in a way that made him want to slam his head against a wall so it would echo in his brain forever. “Maybe you really do wanna forgive me.

O-of course,” Mark replied, mindlessly following Donghyuck like a puppy. “So, uh, should I get my broom or…?

Donghyuck turned on his heels, tilting his head at Mark. “Oh? No need for that right now. Follow me.

Mark jolted a little, before obediently following Donghyuck back towards an alleyway hidden between the stone walls of the school buildings. He was slightly surprised that Donghyuck knew of a place within Hogwarts that even he didn’t know.

Gradually, Mark became more and more aware of how narrow the alleyway was, and more vexingly how close he was to Donghyuck. He could barely feel the rustling of the other’s clothes on his own, and he was holding his breath, hoping Donghyuck didn’t notice his hyperawareness.

Um, what’s in here?” Mark asked cautiously.

What are you waiting for?” Donghyuck replied with his own question. “Take it off.

Excuse me?

Your robes, take them off,” Mark couldn’t help but stare with a gulp as Donghyuck started unbuttoning his own robe and undoing his tie.

W-what?

A tiny laughter escaped Donghyuck's throat as he suddenly tapped Mark's shoulder, nudging him aside. It was only then that Mark noticed there was an opening in the wall, or rather several missing stones making for a little storage space. And to further demonstrate this, Donghyuck cast the summoning spell once again, and out came his practice broom and the bag containing the Snitch. He threw his own robes and tie back inside.

Wouldn’t want them to get ruined, do you?” said Donghyuck. “Unless you plan on using the hindrance as an excuse when you lose again.

Who do you think I am?” Mark scoffed. “Are you trying to provoke me on purpose?

Donghyuck's smile only widened. “Always.

Swiftly, Mark immediately followed suit and shoved his own robe and tie into the opening, the competitive spirit already coursing through his veins.

Also, one more time,” Donghyuck spoke. “Accio.

Mark's eyes widened as another broom suddenly hovered in the opening, and he recognized it as none other than the iconic Nimbus 2001 broomstick, the one that Donghyuck used in game.

Bring your Firebolt here next time,” Donghyuck suggested. “I wanna have a battle with no handicaps.

Why do you use the training brooms if you have this one safely kept here?” Mark asked out of curiosity.

Donghyuck shrugged. “I guess I like the challenge,” he spoke. “I like using the training brooms because they’re the bare minimum, so when I actually go out to play, it’ll feel easier.” He paused for a second, and then added as an afterthought. “Plus, I guess I like being mildly restrained.

Donghyuck gave Mark no time to properly process what he’d just said before he brushed past him and headed back towards the Training Grounds.

Grab your training broom and meet me out there,” said Donghyuck. “We’ll have the same battle as last time?” He waved the wriggling Snitch bag.

I won’t lose this time,” Mark said confidently.

Donghyuck smiled. “We’ll see about that.