Away From Home (4/4) || 13

____

____

"do you want more meat, mr. baek?" aera muffles with a full mouth, looking at mr. baek with eyes shining against the bonfire. the old man remains silent, but nods for the little girl, liking the bond they've formed in the few days aera has been here.

aera stands up from her cushion, wiping her hands in a napkin roughly as she never understood how some people eat without making a mess when she couldn't even manage to get through one meal without dropping some of the food on her shirt— the reson jimin preferred keeping napkins within reach in the dining table and something to cover her shirt.

she sighs to herself, folding up her sleeves and pushes the bowl of stew aside carefully, shifting towards the pan with the sizzling hot steak. smiling at the deliciously cooked meat, aera takes the chopsticks, not having a knife and fork here, and picks up the biggest steak, determined to serve it to mr. baek at once, without dropping anything.

although it didn't seem like a good idea, because the moment aera decided to pull it off, the meat slipped from the grip of her chopsticks, falling back into the pan, causing the leftover oil to splatter out. aera winces in pain, feeling the oil hot enough to make her cry and push the pan away, accidently hitting her bowl of stew, spilling the hot liquid over her arm.

"aera!" mr. baek gasps, getting up from his place, cursing at his joints for not being as fast as he wants them to be. yet when he reaches aera, grabbing some wipes for the girl and cleaning her arm, checking if there's anywhere she's hurt, aera's already busy crying.

tears stream down her face as she holds her right arm, which appears reddish, "ouch... it hurts," aera sobs, "oppa..."

mr. baek glances at her, sad that this little angel got hurt, but also happy that she still loves her brother. he helps her up, taking her to the kitchen and brings her arm under running water. between aera's sobs and mr. baek trying to console her, the sound of doorbell goes off a couple of times together, making mr. baek sigh as he leaves aera by herself for sometime, giving her the ointment to put on her arm while he takes the door.

•••

jimin stares at the miserable condition of the house in front of which he's standing with the police and his hyungs. fear takes over him, imagining a filthy old man probably taking advantage of his innocent little sister. he glares at the police officers, muttering under his breath, "and you wanted to leave her at this place. consider yourself lucky that i'm not dragging your ass to your higher authorities,"

"we're sorry, mr. jeon," the officer bows instantly, "please don't do that. we're really sorry for our carelessness,"

jimin ignores the man, walking to the front door of the house, pressing the doorbell while the policemen have his back, standing alert for any mishappening. it takes the house owner a bit longer to answer the door, but when he does, jimin notices that it's an old man indeed, probably in his seventies or even older because his hands shake lightly as he holds the door open.