𝘈 𝘋𝘪𝘧𝘧𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘒𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘊𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘵𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘱

Summary:

“I wish we were betrothed,” said Wei Wuxian suddenly. The non sequitur was so startling, and Lan Wangji so afraid of his thoughts being read, that he blinked at him in alarm. “So that I could show you. How beautiful you are.”

We are betrothed, the quiet, trembling voice in Lan Wangji wanted to say. You touched my ribbon, and willingly fastened it to your wrist, and together we made our bows before Lan Yi —

“If we were betrothed,” Lan Wangji began, heart beating rabbit-fast in his chest. “If we — how would you show me?”

(Or, post-Cold Spring, Wei Wuxian finds out that Lan Wangji has a boypussy. He convinces Lan Wangji to let him put in just the tip.)

    ______________________________________

Wei Wuxian came to find Lan Wangji again that evening, after darkness had shrouded the mountains and barely an hour was left before haishi.

Lan Wangji had recognized the sound of Wei Wuxian’s light step outside his mother’s house a moment before the knock came, and felt his heart shiver with confusion in his chest. After the hand-fastening ceremony with Lan Yi, the solemn oath as they’d watched their lanterns rise into the evening sky, it was a feeling Lan Wangji was slowly becoming accustomed to, thrilling in its familiarity.

He slid open the door, ready to frown or scold, but the sight of Wei Wuxian’s smile, the almost-shy dip of his head, gave him pause.

“Lan Zhan!” Wei Wuxian exclaimed. “Your rooms are so nice!”

He skipped inside without invitation, and Lan Wangji, tense with embarrassment, watched him catalogue every aspect of his private life with his quick and guileless eyes that missed nothing: the screens painted by his mother, the poetry books hidden among his sober collection of Lan texts, the guqin laid out on the low table next to an abandoned tray of tea.

But Wei Wuxian didn’t tease or investigate to prolong Lan Wangji’s torture; instead, he spun on his heel, and his attention settled back on Lan Wangji himself, like a heavy blanket that left him overheated.

“Wei Ying,” Lan Wangji said. “Why are you here?”

Wei Wuxian’s eyes shone playfully. In pretend thought, he tilted his head and glanced down at the floor, then straight back up into Lan Wangji’s eyes. Lan Wangji averted his gaze in a practiced parry, and was immediately thankful when he heard Wei Wuxian’s next words.

“To be perfectly honest, Lan Zhan, I couldn’t stop thinking about you.”

A flash of heat as the blood rose to his face. “Shameless.”

Lan Wangji heard the smile seep into Wei Wuxian’s voice. “Well, I did just spend two days and a night in the Second Jade’s peerless company. No one can blame me for feeling a little attached after looking at your pretty face for so long! But, Lan Zhan…”

Gaze still desperately clinging to the floor, Lan Wangji tried to hasten the lingering pause. “Mn?”

“I saw you at the Cold Spring, before. When you were… unclothed. I’m sorry, I know it was rude to look! But you surprised me, and you were so beautiful. And I thought I saw…”

Lan Wangji felt suddenly dizzy, and was certain his face had drained of all colour. Surely, Wei Wuxian couldn’t be alluding to…? He couldn’t think straight for the panicked tightening of his stomach at the idea of his secret having been discovered by another soul, when he lived his days barely able to think of it himself.