#2 Post-UC school

6 weeks had passed since they last spoke, texted, or had a conversation. Lucy felt like she needed to respect his wishes to 'take some time, so she didn't talk to him ever since leaving the station that day six weeks ago.

Today was her last day of training at the UC school and she was dying to see Tamara, John even sergeant Grey. She wrapped everything up at the school and took the first flight out to LA.

She arrived at the airport and texted Tamara as soon as she landed to come to pick her up. She didn't realize it was Monday and Tamara was in school until she got a reply.

Hey Lucy! So glad you're back! I have school today 'till 4 pm but I know someone who could come pick you up instead.

Lucy thought she'd pass the job to Chris, her boyfriend, or Nolan. So, she waited for an all too familiar car to drive by the pick-up spot at LAX. But it'd already been an hour and Lucy was starting to get worried. She texted Tamara again.

'Hey! I haven't seen anybody yet. Who did you ask to come pick me up?'

'Well, I couldn't reach Chris or Nolan, so I asked Tim. Please don't be mad!' Tamara knew

Tim and Lucy didn't exactly keep in touch while she was away, but she figured now would be a good time to reconnect.

As Lucy processes the message, she notices a grey pickup parked a few feet away. She walked up to the car and knocked on the window. Tim shot her a smile that lit up her face as he let her in the car.

"Hey! Thanks for picking me up on such short notice! I really appreciate it."

"Yeah, sure, I'm happy to," was his quick reply. They drove away in silence – the awkward kind- until Lucy blurted out: "I'm sorry for not keeping in touch during school. I shouldn't have ghosted you like that".

She turned over to face him and could tell he wasn't sure what to say to that. But she was glad he tried anyway.

"Look, a conversation goes both ways. I could've texted you and I didn't. We both had other things going on. It's no big deal." He said without keeping his attention from the highway they were on.

She felt her heart break a little. It wasn't a big deal?? Maybe not for him but it was for her. That didn't stop Lucy from going down a mind game of her own invention. Maybe he didn't want to keep in touch. Maybe the undercover kiss was just them being professional. Maybe he didn't see her in a romantic way at all.

Tim looked over at her and could tell she was zoned out. But, he couldn't help but wonder why she didn't stay in touch.

"Why didn't we stay in touch though?" he didn't mean to say it out loud. It meant to remain a thought in his mind. But she answered, nonetheless.

"I don't know Tim," she said plainly. "Can I be honest for a second here?" she asked carefully to not trigger anything unwanted.

"Sure,"

"I didn't keep in touch because our last conversation didn't sit right with me," he wanted to object and say something, but she continued. "I felt like you were pushing me away because of what happened at my apartment," she finished. He took a quick look at her and could see the heartbreak in her eyes again. The same look he'd seen when they last spoke.

"I... I'm sorry I made you feel that way. It wasn't my intention, I just wanted what was best for you" he stopped taking and wondered if he should continue.

"Tim, I think we need to clear the air," she said.

"Yeah, you're right," he replied even though he was terrified of that conversation he added: "How about you come over for dinner on Friday at my place?"

"Only if Kojo gets to have his special dinner too," she said with a smile.

"Deal" was his reply as they drove off in silence the rest of the way to her house.