chapter 4- unwanted Guests

-Alita-

I dusted off the old worn store mattress and sat back. It's not as clean as my sleeping bag but I suppose it's better than sleeping on the ground. I glanced at the front of the store where I had covered the windows and doors. Now no one could peek in and hopefully the stuff in front of the door would deter anyone from trying to enter.

It's not uncommon to find barricaded buildings like this, since some people thought staying in the city while gunfights and bombs were going off would be better than getting to safety.

Looking down at myself, my body felt so constricted under all these layers. I should be safe tonight...I haven't seen anyone else in the area and the aliens don't just randomly search buildings like these...

I slipped my coat off and set it down with my bag. I walked over to a broken mirror in the back of the store to look at myself. I wore a long sleeve turtleneck that was two sizes too big with some baggy pants and military boots. My white hair had grown out by 3 inches and without the mask I just looked like an immature young boy. I think most people in my camp do think I'm just a teenage boy.

Pulling off the shirt I could see the bandages I had wrapped tightly around my torso to practically pin my chest down to make it as flat as possible. That added to my lack of muscle from slight malnourishment really makes me look small and immature.

I removed the wraps and sighed happily in how it no longer made my body feel so constrained. Sometimes it makes it a pain to move around and breathe but I rarely get the chance to take a break. Even with how torturous bras used to be I still would prefer one of those than having to bind myself with wraps all the time.

Why couldn't the aliens be after something more convenient like puppies or kittens? We could have supplied them with enough animal companions to keep them happy and avoid this stupid war! I flopped down onto the mattress and sighed.

Who am I kidding? That's a stupid idea... they probably didn't have many choices when it comes to their situation. But still did they even consider the effect this would have on humans? And the fact they are literally kidnapping women and children, separating them from their families? I can assure you that a lot of us would rather not become alien baby makers!

I groaned into the mattress and reminisced over the past.

What would dad have done if he were still around?

Crickets were the only response I got to my question as the night settled in. I quickly grabbed my bag and dug through it for my small portable lantern. I eyed it unsure if I should risk having a light on or even if I should waste the battery life on it.

Sighing I flipped the thing on and relaxed as it illuminated the small area around me.

I hated the dark. Roaming around the forest and streets at night wasn't nearly as bad as staying inside a pitch black abandoned building. At least outside you have the stars and a bit of moonlight but here it's nothing but darkness and it terrifies me...

Heh, I really am helpless.

Setting the lantern next to me I used my coat as a pillow and closed my eyes to drift off into sleep.

—-hours later—

I woke up to a strange sound and opened my eyes. It was still dark and my lantern hardly lit up more than a few feet around me. I sat up, rubbing my eyes as a loud banging sound made me jump. It came from the front entrance to the shop.

Someone's trying to break in!

I scrambled to hide my bag and grab my lantern running to the back of the store to hide behind some cover. I flicked the light off as the banging sounded again and whoever was trying to break in finally pushed through the blocked door.