Lee 11•Shift

[Almost three years ago...]

Simula noon, higit na mas umikot ang mundo ni Lee kay Nika. To think that she has been clingy with him before, it evolved into something almost unimaginable.

The relationship became codependence, but no one said anything. Naging mas abala si Elias Decortia sa trabaho kaysa punahin ang walang label na relasyon ng dalawa. Maluwag na tinanggap ni Lee ang sitwasyon. Despite being the younger, Kathlyn took over the role of Nika's anchor. Kathlyn would always text him about her sister's whereabouts and some repetitive reminders.

"Patience, kuya. Please be patient as always." or "Call me if she gets out of hand."

Lee would always reply with "I will." In return, Nika became more attentive to Kathlyn, glaring at anyone in school she thought was not vibing with her younger sister.

"When's the next session?" tanong ni Lee kay Kathlyn, isang hapon pauwi silang tatlo mula sa eskwelahan. Isang buwan na rin silang nakikisabay kay Lee kapag sinusundo ng driver nito.

After Laura's death, a few employees at their residence have been let go as well. It was Laura's character that caused a surplus of staff in the household. Madali itong tumanggap ng empleyado kapag naantig ang damdamin. It was also a form of letting go of their mother's memories, Kathlyn told him once. And now, the Decortia residence felt like a ghost home with the sudden loss of people. Isa na ang mga natanggal ay isa sa kanilang family driver. At ngayon ay minsang nakikisabay ang magkapatid kapag sinusundo si Lee.

"This Saturday." Sinulyapan ni Kathlyn ang nakatatandang kapatid, ngayon ay mahimbing na natutulog at nakasandal kay Lee. Maaring isa sa kanila ang maupo sa front seat, ngunit nakasanayan ng tatlo ang magkatabi. It was what Nika liked. Na sa bawat minuto, ayaw lumayo kay Lee o sa kapatid, na tila ba maglalaho ang mga ito anumang sandali.

The doctor said her behavior was normal and that there were different ways of coping. As the first person to discover her mother's unconscious state in her room and a bottle of pills half empty, trauma was inevitable. And so, Nika had appointments with a therapist.

"I'm not sure if it's helping," amin ni Kathlyn, inipit ang ilang hibla ng buhok ng kapatid sa likod ng tenga nito. "Hindi pa rin siya nakakatulog ng maayos sa gabi. At minsan, kahit magkasama kami, binabangungot pa rin si ate."

Nika stirred in her sleep and mumbled something. Although Lee couldn't understand her words, he knew her far too well. Even asleep, her thumb slowly bent to be swallowed by her other furled fingers.

Next to the spoken and written code, "Cookies, please." The gesture was their second signal asking for help.

Ilang beses na rin itong nagamit ni Lee upang humingi ng tulong kay Nika. Most of them are situations when Lee was surrounded with his father's associates at gatherings. Or when he's with his father alone, for a one-way conversation about Lee's lack of ambition in business or politics. One look at his fingers, or the text code of "Cookies please." and Nika would swoop in to take him away.

As for her, she had no qualms of using the SOS symbols two of them only knew. Kapag may gusto itong hindi agad maibigay ng magulang, kapag bagot, o kahit na sa kalagitnaan ng away nila. She'd either send the code or show him let her thumb be swallowed by her fingers.

And he'd always come to her rescue, no matter how small she needed 'saving.'

Because they swore, that one cold night on their freshmen year, that they will have each other's back. It was before Nika was called to the guidance office with their parents, after a hair-pulling argument with a sophomore trying to get Lee's number, after a failed attempt of asking through a note with hearts.

With Nika using their newly established SOS sign in the guidance office, Lee lied for her.

"Kasi po, ayaw ko ibigay ang number ko. Pero mapilit po siya. Hinarang po siya ni Nika, tapos... tinulak niya si Nika."

A half lie. Wala pa mang sinasabi ang sophomore, nauna nang hinila ni Nika ang buhok nito. Nagpaawa rin ang huli, habang niyapos ang ina. "Pinipilit niya si Lee, Mommy. 'Di ba harassment 'yon?" Nilabas nito ang pinadalang note bilang ebidensya.

The sophomore was suspended. And Nika walked out the guidance office with a devious grin only Lee winessed.

The second time she used the SOS was a week after, when she broke his drumstick and they fought. This time, in a form of text, when Lee ignored her for three days.

[I don't know the answer to question seven. Cookies please.] Sabay katok nito sa kwarto niya.

Sa huli, pinagbuksan niya ito ng pinto at tinulungan sagutin ang homework mula sa matematika. That was also when Nika declared the 25th as "Our Day."

And now at the present, their promise still stands.

"Even in your sleep..." bulong ni Lee. "You're overusing it."

Napasaulyap siya sa mga kamay nitong puno ng band-aid ang daliri. Lee took her hand and unfurled them, while Kathlyn watched the two, with an unreadable expression, then shifted her gaze to window with the heavy clouds and a storm brewing.

—————

At first, there were just small changes after Laura's death, but then, the huge shift came at dinner more than a month after the burial.

Katulad ng nakagawian, sumabay si Nika sa hapunan ng mga Singson, matapos maabutan ng gabi sa pinapanood nilang series.

"How's school hija?" tanong ni Mildred Singson, tulad ng nakasanayan pagbubukas ng usapan.

Nika, in between sprinkling more cheese in her salad, bragged about her scores for the first major quiz. "Medyo mahirap pa rin ang Math, Tita. But I think I can manage."

"Any plans for senior high?"

"Not yet, but I'll decide on my strand before moving up. I'll also consider Lee's decision."

"Mas maiging pag-isipan mo na ng mabuti habang maaga." Sa pagkakataong ito, ang kanyang ama ang sumagot. Unlike before, there was no more warmth in Paulo Singson's tone. "Lee, will take Ethics and Social Sciences."

"Dad I—"

"—He will study law," deklara nito, hindi pinatapos si Lee, sa kalmado ngunit pinal sa tono. "I'm sure you have a dream of your own," tukoy nito kay Nika.

"...Yes po, Tito," pilit na sagot nito sa tabi ni Lee, hindi na nagalaw ang salad nito.

"Then pursue it." Mr. Singson smiled, but they could no longer feel the sincerity or at least the forced genuity. "Co-dependence is not healthy, hija. Sometimes, spending time apart is necessary, letting yourself grow away from each other is beneficial too."

Gumanti rin ng ngiti si Nika, hindi naitago ang pagtataka nito, kahit na si Lee. He used to think that his parents loved her more than him, as their own child. She even has things at home like she lived there. The sudden shift or even lack of affection took them by surprise.

The dinner resumed in silence, veiled over the tension and chill in the atmosphere.

—————