Chapter Fifteen - The Front Line

I waited till my family was asleep. Then I packed my bag. I heard the door open, causing me to jump.

"You coming or what?" I heard Kat whisper. I looked at her like what the hell. all she replied was... "Johanna." I rolled my eyes but left the room with her.

"So she told you."

"Enough." We made our way down to the hanger. Seeing a attendant we walked out and into the row of missiles. Once he was gone, we continued. Two attendants walked away from the ramp door and as it was going up the two of us jumped on and walked to find a place to wait. We sat between two large crates of medical supplies. For the whole journey we didn't speak but we took turns on sleeping.

"Lily. We're here." I woke up just as we landed. Looking back, the ramp was lowering down. Waiting a few minutes we stood up and carefully made our way out. Katniss remained behind me as we walked out amongst the sea of rebels fighting for the cause. I thought not that many would notice, it seems I was naive in thinking that. I was the face of it all, the person that spoke to them and rallied them. How silly of me to think that they would not notice. Some began to whisper and it didn't take long for a crowd to gather. I stopped looking at all of them as Kat stood next to me.

"There's no going back now is there?"

"Nope." She replied . They all kissed their fingers and raised them in salute.

"Hey, I thought you were in the hospital?" Gale put his arm around me and Kat.

"I was, I got restless." I answered settling my breath.

"Come on." He guided us through and soon Commander Paylor joined us.

"Lily, Katniss. It's good to have you with us." Gale removed his arm from around me only for Paylor, to replace it.

"It's good to be here Commander." We replied

--------

I stood in a crowd of mass proportion. Commander Paylor stood up on the stage that one Peeta and I was addressing everyone.

"I'm Commander Paylor of District 8. I'm a soldier like all of you, so here is what I know. For the first time in our life times we're standing together with 13 districts. From what I see here, we've already made history." I clapped with everyone else, standing with Kat and Gale.

"But history doesn't stop to celebrate. And we're all facing an enemy that will not change and never surrender. President Snow has pulled back peacekeepers to fortify the centre of the city. He's evacuating residents from the outa blocks. These civilians will be confused and desperate. You are under orders not to target them. We're deploying medical brigades to help anyone in need." I turned my head to the medics in all white, not far from the three of us.

"We'll show the Capitol people who we are. To slow our advance, President Snow is building a minefield of traps and lethal devices called pods. The sadistic invention of Game makers meant to make sport of our deaths. If our armies make it past peacekeepers and other defences, we'll converge on the centre of the city at Snow's mansion, where we won't just unlock their gates, but unshackle all of Panem. Everyone around me clapped and cheered as she continued

"If we die, let it be for a cause and not a spectacle. If we succeed, let it be for all of Panem and let it be forever. Yes, you've already made history. But the future, our future begins tomorrow at dawn, when we march together into the Capitol."

-

I stuffed as much food and supplies I could for the journey ahead.

"Squad 451?" I looked up to Gale who came into my tent and sat across from me. "Looks like you got all your meals covered ."