XXI. FORTUNE FAVOURS

XXI.

F O R T U N E  F A V O U R S

—aka, exes are good plot devices,

EXT— THE BANKS OF SEINE.

PARIS, FRANCE — MID-AFTERNOON.

CONT. SCENE I.

HE DIDN'T SMILE as he reached me but he didn't need to.

He was here, and he was going to keep me safe.

For now.

They can't very well attempt to hurt a French aristocrat, can't they?

... On the other hand, maybe they can. But it will at least give me— us time. He's a confusion. A curiosity.

It'll be a little bit harder than just making a common man disappear.

"You say my name like an old friend."

I focused back on Louis, smile widening. His glare faltered, standing so still for his body, he was making it awkward. I don't think I'd ever seen him this stilted and distressed. I have always seen Louis as someone languid, easy to move. It was the complicity of having blue blood but not having it control your future. His family is removed a few times over for him to actually work normally, but still known enough that it holds a sense of forgotten hierarchy.

And he has always carried himself well. Like fresh spring water.

Now there were rocks on the water's path.

I swirled my wine and sipped. "Why speak English when I can speak to you perfectly in French?"

He fidgeted, but replied in his native tongue nevertheless. "They say you're not even French."

"Who says?"

His eyes narrowed. For someone with brown eyes all my life, Louis' eyes have always been so pretty to me. You can't tell if they're blue or green or grey— they look like sea glass.

For someone who's usually amicable, they were so sharp right now, hm?

"The authorities, who else? You can't play the fool with me, Nina. Or Laura. Or whatever. . . whatever your name really is." His fists clenched. Oh, Louis. "Why did you even call me?"

I sighed, setting the glass down. "They told you about Laura, huh?"

"They told me everything." He looked hurt. Beyond hurt, he looked betrayed.