CHAPTER 6

"I hate him, I hate him, I hate him!" Rory yelled while punching a pillow. Mandy dutifully listened from the other end of the couch, agreeing with every word she said. Even though they were still close friends, it had been a long time since Rory had invited Mandy over for "friend time." Usually, Rory just went to the Forster house to see Dean and Mandy got to talk with her for a bit while she was there. And it didn't matter too much because they saw each other daily at Luke's. But it was still nice to be invited to the Gilmore house anyway. "I mean, who does he think he is? He's constantly flirty, even though I have a boyfriend and he's met him, and honestly he's so arrogant and conceited and... ugh!"

"I agree. I can't stand him," Mandy replied. "He's been bothering me constantly the past few weeks at school, at the diner, it's like he can't leave me alone!"

Rory looked at her weirdly, confused. "Wait, how would he bother you at school?"

"He keeps sitting at my lunch table and making awful corny jokes in the halls."

"But he goes to Chilton..."

It was at that moment that the two girls realized they were talking about two completely different people. "Rory, who are you talking about?" Mandy asked, wildly befuddled.

"Tristan. Who are you talking about?"

"Jess."

Both girls sat back in realization and started laughing together. "I mean, I hate Jess too, but Tristan has been on my nerves lately at school. I think he's worse than Jess," Rory exclaimed.

"Impossible. What's he been doing?"

"He's constantly flirty and- even worse- he's now in my group for the Romeo and Juliet project!" 

"What scene?"

"Scene six."

Mandy's eyes widened in fear. "Don't tell me..."

"He's Romeo."

"You're Juliet." Rory nodded in response. "Fuck. I agree. Jess over Tristan any day."

"Exactly! And the worst part is, he's coming to Stars Hollow because we're practicing at Miss Patty's."

"Wait, is he the one you kissed?"

"Yes!"

"So if he runs into Dean..."

"Exactly." It was at times like this when Rory missed Mandy the most. Even though they were sitting across from each other, she couldn't help but wish that she could have the Forster girl with her every day at school. It was like they could read each other's minds and she felt like everything would just be easier if Mandy was there. Which is when the thought struck. "Mandy."

"Rory?"

"You know Romeo and Juliet inside and out."

"Yeah, we read it last year. Why?" Mandy was starting to get worried.

"Come to the practice." Mandy was no longer worried. She was downright convinced that Rory was insane.