THE ALCHEMIST - PAULO COELHO

Rhiannon,

Call me cliche, but if you can go for a classic I can too. I like to think of this one as the original self-help book and even though I don't always live life the way Coelho wants me to, reading it makes me want to be a better person and I think that's the point.

I kind of like that this has become deeper than just surface level things like our favorite colors and artists. It makes this feel real, like I have someone to talk to. But not too real, because I have no clue who you are.

We become the people others want to see. It's human nature. Everyone has a stereotype and everyone has a role, especially in a town as small as this. It's not your fault for wanting to leave that. And to quote Coelho, "if someone isn't what others want them to be, the others become angry. Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." We're all trying our best to survive, and the fact that you care about the people around you enough to put on a smile because you know it makes them happy shows that you are stronger than you look. Much stronger than you think, according to your last letter. My only criticism? I think you'll find that the people who love you even when you make mistakes and mess up are the ones to keep in your life because they're the people who will stay. Everyone else is dead weight and you'll be happier without them.

At least, that's what I've gathered. I've never really had a constant in my life other than the characters in the pages of a novel. Friends come and go as I do, and my family is even less consistent than friends. No one can get close with a floater, so why even try? Honestly, I have no clue why I even started this because I'm your typical loner. I don't do companions.

Regardless, the conversation is nice. And the anticipation of another letter makes it worth it.

The one person I want to surround myself with is both taken and way too good for me. Every time I see her, I want to talk with her about her favorite novels or even the goddamn weather. I just want to hear her voice. Unfortunately, her boyfriend is always there too and he hates my guts. So does her mom. I don't usually have to try to get a girl to like me, so I don't know how to go from here.

I hope your romantic life is going better than mine.

Yours,
Bowie

>>>>><<<<<
lina speaks!

important question- do you want to have the letters to and from tristan included in the regular chapters? or just a summary of what they say?

anyways thank you all for reading! i'm so sorry it's been so long, i've been incredibly burnt out the past few weeks with finals and my surgery.

the good news is that it's all paid off! i got into my dream school :)

i'll hopefully have a bit more time on my hands in the coming weeks so i'm excited to continue

love you all lots <3