PART 7 - Turning Points & Obstacles

December 8th 1941

Yesterday, December 7, 1941 a date which will live in infamy, the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

Japan has, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday and today speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our Nation.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, December 7, 1941, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese Empire.

Edward, Jessica, Adam, and everyone at Welsworth Station stood there with a mix of surprise and relief following that broadcast, the war had now gone to the Pacific ocean.

"Looks like the Americans have now joined to fight alongside us!" Beamed Adam.

"I wouldn't be so sure, not until either side declares war." Sighed Jessica, with that, the guards whistle blew and with Edward banking from behind charged out of the station towards the station ahead.

Two days later, the Nazis declared war on the US.

Alfred, an LNER S69 or B12/1 on loan to the North Western. He'd been to the island before in the 1920's with the number 98462 and a horrid attitude but had been sent away, in the years since then, he'd matured and regretted his actions.

Compared with the rest of the other engines on the railway, he hadn't been repainted black but was covered in a sustained coat of filth and grime to cover his bright green paint.

He had proven to the others doubts that he was now a far better engine and hard worker ready to tackle anything but was a quiet worker and mostly kept to himself as some still thought the B12 hadn't changed.

That attitude however would change on one cold day in February 1942.

————————————————————————————————————————————————

Entering Tidmouth Station with a train of evacuees when he heard angry voices arguing from the yard only for it to abruptly stop and an engine puffed up, coupled up to the empty coaches then shunted them into the carriage sidings.

Alfred moved back towards the shed and stopped beside Gordon who was looking across to the yards as the shape of a black tank engine coupled up to some trucks.

"Who's that and why are they here?" Asked Alfred, Gordon looked over at him.

"I don't really know, they look like an GNR tank engine. I heard them and Percy arguing when you came in."

"Yeah, so did I."

"Alfred, I want to have some serious words with you tonight in private between me, you and Henry." The Doncaster Pacific backed into the shed for a quick sleep for an important train later. Alfred decided to head off to the yards to meet the new shunter.

He found the black tank engine waiting for their trucks to be loaded, when Percy rushed passed with several wagons, blasting the engine with steam. Alfred stopped next to them, the engine noticed the B12.

"Is it just me or is that engine always like that?" Asked the engine, looking closer at him, showed the distinctive sloping tanks of an LNER J50 tank engine, filthy black paint with the letters NE and number 8961 on his tanks. "Name's William, I've been loaned from the LNER and the WD to work the harbour here. What's yours?"

"Alfred and no, he's not like that. You see, we had an 0-4-0 saddle tank engine called Sampson who shunted here but was killed in an air raid last year. Shoving Percy out of the way of a bomb that was headed for him." The B12 sighed, "Probably thinks you're replacing him."

"Well that explains it." Will said.

Throughout the day, the others also took notice of the new tank engine working in the yard and Percy's attitude towards the newcomer.

————————————————————————————————————————————————

That evening, Alfred, Gordon and Henry sat at Tidmouth Station, in silence.

"Alfred." Henry broke the silence.

"Yes."

"You were right, you have changed." Gordon responded. "Your no longer the hot headed rude prick you once were in '23."

"Yes, sense has hit me in the head, err smokebox."

"May I ask why?" Asked Henry.

"After I left, several more modern engines did the same thing as I did on you two, insults and all. I also was placed on more mixed traffic work in more rural areas for the first years. It was then I realised my actions." Alfred sighed. "I'm sorry for all I've done to you all."

"Apology accepted." The Guard's whistle blew and Gordon steamed away with a long mixed train of supplies.

Henry and Alfred went back to the sheds to rest, Percy and William were at each other's buffers. Edward was tempting to break it up, James sat nearby, tempting to go to sleep.

Heney stopped next to the coaling stage while Alfred went off light engine to collect another train elsewhere.

"SHUT THE FUCK UP ALL OF YOU!" James suddenly burst out. "Percy, Samson didn't sacrifice himself for you to argue with someone else. Do you think he would want to accuse someone else of replacing him?"

"No..."

"Good, now shut up and let me sleep."

————————————————————————————————————————————————

Next day, as William steamed up Percy puffed up solemnly.

"Will."

"Yes? What's up Percy?"

"I'm sorry. You see-"

"No need, I know how you feel."

"Really?" Percy asked.

"Yes. I lost a close friend in a crash and they were taken away for scrap, days later they were replaced by a more modern engine, I was annoyed and lashed out but they'd put me straight, taught me what mattered that they didn't want me to act like this." William muttered, "They told me similar word's that the mogul said. It was then I knew the truth."

Days passed, the workload steadily increased, the coal stayed poor, black soot pouring from engines funnels, both rail and sea, ships crossing the Atlantic with vital supplies and men from the US for the war effort. The engines and crews worked hard, getting along the best they could. Unfortunately not everything was smooth sailing as the overworked and tired engines would often develop faults, brakeblocks wearing down faster, maintenance deferred and delayed, lack of light at night caused poor lookout on the line ahead.

Eventually something would have to give, but all across the railway network, up in the skys above, on the seas, in country and city streets and factories across Sodor, England, Scotland and Wales, all across Great Britain, all were determined to push that breaking point later and later. They had to, otherwise who knows could happen.