Chapter 25 - Sleepovers

Alexander Stone

Alexander Stone.

"This is the worst day of my life," I paced up and down my kitchen and combed my hair back agitatedly, "The worst day of my life," I repeated, grumbling.

"Don't you think you're being a little overdramatic there?" Liz said, judging me from where she sat on the kitchen stool before me.

"No, Liz. I am not being overdramatic. My daughter is leaving me today," I groaned. I was dreading this day.

Liz rolled her eyes, "She's not leaving you. She's having her first sleepover, it's cute." She grinned.

"It's dangerous," I corrected her. "She'll be spending a night without me with strangers."

"But you like Sarah and Victor, Hannah's parents. Didn't you have a drink with Victor and now you're in business with him and his security company?"

"Yeah, I am," I mumbled, hating that she had a point there.

"At least they're not like Dylan's parents, right? You told me you don't like them," She said and I shook my head, "No. I didn't say that, I said I think that Dylan's Dad, Henry, is a misogynistic prick and that his Mum, Grace, is a flighty hippie weirdo."

"Right, how nice of you," Liz said sarcastically, "Honestly, Alex, I think that you're trying to find excuses not to let her go. You might be more afraid to spend a night without her than she is."

I scoffed, "Please, that's ridiculous,"

Liz hopped off the kitchen stool and looked at me with an expression of deep thought, "Hang on, when's the last time you've spent a night out without Maxine? When's the last time you-" She cut herself off but I knew exactly what she was going to say. When was the last time I got laid? Truth is, not since I gained custody of Maxine.

I opened and closed my mouth, hesitating to answer and Liz's expression fell into that of pity, "Oh, Alex,"

I raised my hand to her, "Enough with this pity, I've heard it plenty from George and my mates." Now hearing it from Liz made me realise I had a problem that only a woman could fix. Not the woman standing in front of me however, we were strictly friends.

"Daddy! Daddy! I need you up here!" Maxine shrilled from above the staircase. I could hear her stomp her little feet impatiently.

Liz chuckled, "You're being summoned," I smiled, "Indeed I am."

I marched up the stairs and into Maxine's room where I found lumps of clothes littered everywhere. My hand flew to my heart at the utter mess. "Maxine!" I walked further into the room in search of my daughter.