Chapter 26 - Giving Back

"N-no! Please! Nooo!" Maxine sobbed as she clutched onto Liz's leg, refusing to let her leave for her flight to America

We were at the airport, outside the gate and with half an hour until Liz's flight left.

Liz stared at my daughter with tearful eyes and a miserable frown. She then looked at me, clueless and heartbroken about what to do.

"Sweetheart," I sighed and attempted to pull Maxine from Liz's leg, "Liz is still going to be your babysitter," I said and eventually pulled her off but she squirmed and kicked in my hold.

"Your Dad's right, Maxine. I'm still going to be taking care of you," Liz said, offering a supportive smile to my daughter who continued to wail. It was heartbreaking.

"So-so, why can't you stay?" She sniffled, "I-I don't understand," She whispered in the smallest of voices.

I settled Maxine down on her two feet as Liz crouched before her, "Maxine, I don't really get to see my family that often so I would really like to spend Christmas with them," She explained.

Maxine hung her head and sighed defeatedly, "Oh,"

"Hey," Liz said and curled her finger under my daughter's chin, "But that doesn't mean I'm not going to miss you like crazy."

Maxine sniffled, "Really?"

Liz laughed softly, "Of course I am, silly girl," She tickled her chin, "I'm going to miss baking with you..." She poked her sides and Maxine giggled, "watching cartoons with you..." Her fingers wiggled to tickle my daughter's little tummy, "I'm especially going to miss your crazy laugh!" Liz exclaimed and attacked my daughter with the force of the tickle monster.

Maxine shrieked and burst into a fit of crazy cackles. Travellers stopped and stared at my daughter, some gushing over her, others wincing at her high-pitched squeals. I glared at them. Look away.

Maxine's face grew an adorable red as she tried to escape Liz, "S-stop! Stoooop! I'll miss you too!" She panted.

Liz stopped and kissed her forehead, "I promise that after Christmas, we'll spend so much time together."

Maxine wriggled her pinky finger at her, "Pinky promise?"

Liz smiled as she looked into my daughter's big brown eyes, "I pinky promise," They wrapped their fingers together and my heart melted at the sight.

We said our goodbyes to Liz and before she left, she hugged me tightly and whispered in my ear, "I can't thank you enough, I wouldn't be able to see my family without you."

I smiled at her, "I'll always be here for you, Liz." I glanced at the time her flight was leaving, "You should probably go now, before your plane leaves without you." I laughed as panic overtook her face.

She hugged Maxine again and yelled, "Bye! Merry Christmas!" Before yanking her suitcase and running to the gate.

"Merry Christmas!" Maxine and I exclaimed as we watched Liz go.