7

Eight Years Ago
The night it happened...

"If you keep staring at the door it won't make him come any faster," Jake yells from the kitchen as I look out at the street and the ocean sunset behind it. Penny's house has been decorated with streamers, balloons, and on a table a group of heart sunglasses, and an empty cake stand. I feel a small flick on the top of my head which causes my attention to leave the window and to the tall brute standing behind me, I slap Jake's hand down.

"Ay, no abusing the birthday girl," I say with a small smirk as he brings me in for a hug. Nat walks into the room, her face adorned in glitter and heart glasses (that I forced her to put on). She walks up to us and laughs and Jake tries to flick me again.

"But that is my specialty," Jake says with that signature smirk. I grin as he does a pretend hair flip. I look over to Nat and give her a 'Is this boy for real' look. She starts laughing and Jake looks between us wondering what happened. "Ok, you two need to stop looking at each other like that."

"But that is my specialty," I smirk back at Jake as Nat and I walk away. 

"Hey, that's my line!" He yells behind us before we bust out laughing. Around the corner we see a little Amelia poking her head out, before jumping out and trying to scare me. I laugh and pick her up, even though she has gotten far too big for that.

"What's up squirt?" I say and I spin her around, and she smiles like the Cheshire cat. I swear if there was a cuteness contest for ten-year-olds, Amelia would win with one grin. She was wearing her favorite yellow sundress with lace on the bottom, and puffy little sleeves. "You look so precious, darling girl." I smile at her as she laughs.

"Happy birthday, Ana!" She yells as I put her back down on the ground. "Momma made cake!" I laugh at her as she runs around me in circles. 

"I swear that girl never runs out of energy." Penny's warm voice fills the room as she walks in carrying the cake, she sets it down in the middle of the table, then turns back to her kid. "Amelia would you calm down," but the little maniac continues to run around a giggle. "Amelia if you don't calm down, your not getting any cake." Amelia immediately stops in her tracks, sliding on her socks, and stands completely still. 

"Right, that's what I thought goober." Penny then comes and grabs Melia's hand and brings her back into the kitchen. The feeling of love floated through the air, with the sounds of laughter. The feeling like an old cardigan being put on, next to a warm fireplace. I look around the living room at all the faces, and a smile grows on my own. My dad used to tell me I would have the worst lines on my face when I'm older because of how much I smile.

I feel hands wrap around me as my dad pulls me into a hug. I rest my head on his bulky shoulder, the warm familiar feeling of fatherhood. I can smell his cedar cologne, mixed with engine fuel a smell that always reminded me of him. "My little miracle," he says as he pulls back from the hug and looks down at my face. 

I look around the room once more before turning back at my dad. "You know who would have loved this?" I say a reminiscent look in my eye. He looks down at me with the same look. 

"Uncle Goose and Aunt Carole,"  I say before looking out the the sunset, and to the sky. The clouds had twisted into a beautiful array of pink, blue, and golden sun as the sun greets the ocean again. "I wish they could be here," I whisper as I lean into dads chest again.

Dad looks out to the sky as he says just above a murmur "Me too kid." I smile up at him, before looking at the sky again.

"But look how pretty they made the sky tonight, almost as beautiful as their love." Dad looks at me with pride as he ruffles my hair. "Speaking of Goose," I say as I grab the Polaroid camera, "let's get a picture."