2 - Not So Invisible Now

Even days after the party, the whole school was still talking about it. There was no such conversation topic as the Saturday night event. Especially Jon couldn't seem to shut up about it. As glad as Chris was about him finding new friends, but – although she wouldn't admit it – she felt he could've chosen better ones than the Hawkins High basketball morons. Not to affirm any stereotypes but these guys, from what she experienced within the last year, were really not the brightest of all.

"The guys are so great. We were playing beer pong the whole night long!", Jon raved, as they were strolling down the school hallway.
"I saw that."
"I don't remember a lot of that night, you know."
"I can imagine.", Chris said, with as much faked enthusiasm in her tone as possible.

"What were you doing all night, though? I barely saw you anywhere."
Reminiscing about her Saturday and the associated encounters of that night, she decided that it was not worth talking about and kept it short.
"Well, after you ran off with Jason to chat and ditched Nancy and me, we went into the yard and sort of just observed the evening from the patio."

As she pushed the exit doors open and walked onto the crowded parking lot.

"So, first of all: I didn't ditch you. But also, I did saw Nancy around.", Jon confirmed. "I even came looking for you every now and then but I could never seem to find you."

"That's weird.", Christina fibbed.
"So where were you?"
She rolled her eyes at her best friend as she let out a quiet grunt.
"Jon, I was nowhere. Now let it go!"

Jon threw his hands up in the air.
"Okay! No need to freak out about it."

As the two walked away from the school building, Chris' eyes wandered over the parking lot. Admittedly, she had never really noticed that Billy guy at school, but ever since the weekend, she was fairly determined to take a closer look at him.
Simply out of curiosity.
Because after that one encounter in the kitchen, the amount of "coincidental" runnings into each other increased rapidly within the following hours.

From what he acted like, he seemed to be quite a big shot at school. And he was. However, that was nothing the girl had ever noticed.
To her surprise, he was fairly popular.
They even had a handful of classes together.

When she saw Billy in the hallway earlier that day but she didn't think he saw her. He was way too busy joking around with his friends, strutting through the corridors like a highly potent rooster.

Then, wildly tangled in her own thoughts, Chris spotted him.
Billy leant against his 1970s Chevrolet Camaro, blowing thick cigarette smoke out of his nose.
It took her about three seconds to realise, that Billy was already looking back at her. And he was fairly chill about it. Billy didn't nervously look away or seem like he felt caught in the act. That wasn't his style. He just stood there, his blue eyes observing her from afar with seemingly great interest.

"What are we looking at?" Jon put his head against Chris', cheek to cheek, to see what she was looking at.
"Why's Billy Hargrove staring at you?"

Clicking her tongue, she pulled Jon towards her Ford F-150.
"Oh, you know it. We talked a bit on Saturday. That's all. No biggie.", She tried to explained, as nonchalant as possible, glancing over at the tall blond one last time before she jumped into the car.

Letting himself fall onto the passenger seat, Jon eyed herfrom the side.
"So that's where you were."
A smug grin crawled up his face but Christina forbid herself to even satisfy him with even one glance.
"I guess."

An undefinable silence came between them, as she drove off the premises. Luckily, Jon spoke up once more, as he always did.
"You know, Billy's cool.", He said, his gaze fixated on the street. "A little hard to handle at times but all in all a pretty chill guy."