5 - A Jackass in a Bookstore

Once Christina stepped over the threshold of "Margie's Books" and heard the entrance bell ring, she felt the serotonin rushing through her veins

It was just a little bookstore hidden in Hawkins' old town but something about the charming old oak shelves gave her a certain feeling. One step into the shop and the sounds of civilisation were replaced by pleasant peaceful silence. It was like stepping into another world.

"Good morning, dear!"

The curly headed girl turned around in surprise.
"Marge! I didn't even see you there! How are you?", she asked the elderly woman behind the counter.

"I'm just fine, Chrissy. Thank you!"

Christina walked over to the small woman, hung her jacket onto the rack and pulled something out of her bag.
"I've brought you pie.", the girl said. "I know apples are your favorite."

Marge put a hand onto Chris' shoulder as her eyes widened.
"Oh, aren't you a sweetheart. You remember that?"
Chris laughed light-heartedly.
"Of course I did. Everything for the boss. So, what can I do today?"

Marge looked around the room and sighed with a swaying hand gesture.
"Not much to do today. You can put some of the new books away."

Ever since her husband passed, Marge only lived for her books. They used to own the bookstore together but. Although it hurt her deeply to be constantly reminded of her late husband, she refused to give the little shop up. The woman's passion for books was what really inspired Christina to find a safe place in them as well. She had been working here since she was 13 and there was never a day where she regretted taking this job.

Conversing about her favorite literature with strangers, being allowed to read whatever she wanted, whenever there was nothing else to do; there was basically no job more ideal.

Roaming through the small rooms, she started her work by sorting the new books by genres. As she went on and the time passed, more people entered the bookstore. Being the well-read girl that she was, the regulars loved to consult her on their next book choices.

"Do you really think I'll get through this? You know how scared I get.", Miss Johnson asked, already discussing thrillers with Chris for about 15 minutes.
"As I said, if you don't think you can handle it, you might want to look at something more for the faint-hearted."
Chris gestured towards the shelf filled with romance novels.

"But I want to try something new, don't you see?"

Slowly becoming frustrated by the repetition of arguments the woman brought up, Chris scanned the room to see wether there were any other customers needing her help.

„Well then go for it, I say. Can I-"
Suddenly she spotted something that made her forget entirely what she was about to say.
"I'm sorry, Miss Johnson. Excuse me. Would you mind asking Margie, if you have any further questions?"