Chapter One.

Dan~

Maybe it's wrong.. Was I defected? I never had a problem with this until I noticed the mark on my hip. Maybe I was supposed to hate it.

I pulled my shirt down to cover the new wound carved into my body and made my way out the front door. I walked down the street until I found the shop I was looking for. The bell rang as I entered and a familiar voice called my name.

"Dan, what are you doing here?" Phil asked, confused.

"I actually wanted to talk to you about something quick. I could talk to you later about it when you got home if you're busy right now." He shook his head.

"Nah, now is alright." We walked to the corner of the store where my favorite chairs were and sat down. "What was it you wanted to talk about?" I bit the inside of my cheek softly before speaking quietly.

"I got my mark.." I mumbled.

"What?" I repeated my sentence a tad bit louder. "Dan, I can't hear you, speak up."

"I got my stupid mark." I said, sighing.

"I don't know whether to smile or frown, being honest. What does it say, if you don't mind me asking." He said, looking down.

"It's not really important, I'm just confused about it. Isn't the mark supposed to be worst name your someone has said regarding your biggest insecurity?" He nodded, raising an eyebrow. "Mine is wrong."

"That can't be right? They've never been wrong before, why would they start now?" I shrugged and before I could speak, Phil's manager called him back to work. "We'll talk about this later, alright?" We parted ways as I headed out the door and back to our apartment. As I walked in, it began to rain and I sighed happily, perfect timing. I climbed the stairs and grabbed my laptop before taking browsing position. A thought came to my head about an hour later and I opened a new tab to google.

"why is my eighteenth year mark untrue?" I searched. As suspected, all I got was people saying "it can't be true" or "you haven't found yourself yet." I rolled my eyes and checked the time, only half an hour until Phil would return home. I shut my laptop and got up, deciding to make something to eat. After checking every single cabinet, all I found that would be decent is popcorn or cereal. 'Popcorn would be normal, considering the time. That and I could watch a movie with Phil later so it would be even more acceptable. Dan Howell, you are a smart guy.' I thought to myself before putting it into the microwave. As it was popping, I heard the front door open, signaling that Phil was home.

"Are you making popcorn?" He called, shutting the door and taking his shoes off.

"Yeah, I thought it could be a movie night." I said, turning towards the microwave, pressing stop before the loud beeping noise.

"That should be fine. What genre, scary, comedy, action.."

"Scary, I want to watch you scream." I said, tossing a piece of popcorn into my mouth. We scanned the cabinet of movies and decided on Insidious. We weren't even an hour through the movie and Phil was buried in my shirt. He was so cute when he was scared. Of course I couldn't tell him that, I wouldn't want to ruin our friendship. We both came out to each other years ago and I've had a crush on him since before then. 'You're supposed to hate this, you know.' I thought to myself. I bit my bottom lip before speaking.

"Sorry Phil, I have to pee." He whined for a second before sitting upright as I quickly got up.

Phil~

I couldn't help but stare at the skin on Dan's hip, I think that's where his mark is. I couldn't tell what it said, I could only see a little bit of a letter. I turned my attention towards the television again, trying not to jump. This movie ruined a once pleasant song that will forever haunt my dreams. I was too focused on the movie to notice Dan come up behind me and yell into my ear.

"Jesus Chri- Dan!" I whined, laughing slightly.

"How did you not hear me?" He said in-between laughs.

"I was trying not to get scared by the movie, how was I supposed to know that you were plotting to kill me?"

"You're too cute." Dan said, teasing. I blessed the dark room that hid my cheeks burning from embarrassment & shock. Dan called me cute? Probably meant it like I was a little kid. I shook the thought out of my head as Dan sat down so we could continue the movie.

--

How could they just end the movie like that?! Was he possessed by the old woman?! I yawned and stretched my arms out before standing.

"I think I'm going to sleep, or go on tumblr. Either way, I'll see you tomorrow." I said, earning a sleepy smile from Dan before I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth. After I finished brushing and flossing, I tossed the string into the trash and it landed next to a slightly bloody tissue. What happened here? "Dan?" I called.

"Yes Phil?"

"Did you get a bloody nose or something." He was quiet before his footsteps were heard coming towards the bathroom.

"Oh, yeah, it was only a little blood though. Probably from the dry air." He said, looking at the tissue in the basket. I nodded in agreement before walking into my room, having a mental debate whether I wanted to stay up another few hours or go to sleep now. I decided the second one would be the better option so I pulled off my pants to replace them with my pajama pants, brushing my hand softly over my mark. Mine said loner.

I didn't like that I was always alone but now that I've gotten friends, I don't feel physically alone, just mentally. I opened up to one person about it and they called me loner and it hurt me bad so I guess that's why that word is my mark. I pushed the thought away and pulled off my shirt before climbing into bed. I wonder what Dan's mark is..