Chapter 7

-Hinata's POV-

Days passed, and I tried everything I could think of to escape the room. The hinges were bolted down too tightly to be removed, the door itself was too sturdy for me to physically power past it, and my hunt for a small thin object remained fruitless. I'd even knocked the camera down from the ceiling by hitting it repeatedly with my pillow. After taking it apart, I realized nothing would work from it, either.

My stomach began to feel like it was caving in on itself near the end of day three, the ache getting more robust with each day that passed. Naruto and I spoke each night, and I could tell he noticed my strength withering away, but I tried to put a brave front up for him. His desperation to save me was too great for me to just give up.

He told me Neji and others were traveling with him and couldn't wait to see me again, just like him. Every morning I'd wake up in tears from holding back my despair in front of him. He could likely feel my distress anyway, but at least I didn't have to look him in the eye.

On day four, the electricity gave out, and then on day five, the plumbing stopped. On day six, I finally lost it.

The pain in my body was incomprehensible, and I could even see my ribs when I lifted my shirt. When I looked in the mirror, my face was thin, and my cheeks were sunken. I looked like a walking corpse.

Disgust rose in my throat as I looked at my reflection, and suddenly a wave of anger came through me, and I threw a fist at the mirror before I could control myself. The glass shattered loudly, and a searing pain erupted across my fist and parts of my forearm. A shaky gasp came from my dry lips as I watched my blood drip heavily onto the white sink and floor amidst the mirror shards.

A wave of concern overcame me, and I realized it was Naruto. He probably realized I was hurt. Guilt washed through me, and I shook my head. No matter what path I chose, it'd end up hurting him. If I die, he'll be distraught. If I get injured like crazy trying to survive, he'll be upset. There wasn't a painless resolution.

The cold air prickled at my skin as I knelt to pick up a long shard of broken glass. Wouldn't it be easier to end it now so I don't have to suffer a few more days before reaching the same fate? Panic from my blonde friend was shooting through my brain, but I ignored it as I turned my wrist over and lined up the thin piece of mirror.

My eyes widened. Humiliation and disbelief ran through me as I stumbled and rushed to the door to slide the sharp item through the narrow space between it and its frame.

It opened.

I was free.

My elation was dampened by the unbearable stench of the half-decomposed body in front of me, and I gingerly swiped the keys off the poor woman's belt before stumbling weakly down the hall in search of food. Corpses were everywhere, and blood caked the floors and walls. I located a first-aid kit and did my best to clean and bandage my fresh cuts.

After finding a map posted by the inoperable elevators, I found my way down the stairwell and into the cafeteria. When I found the massive pantry stocked to the brim with canned foods and bottled water, I fell to my knees in relief. I hadn't seen or heard another person, but I still closed the door behind me after verifying it wouldn't lock me in. Then I ate for the first time in a week.

Not wanting to make myself sick, I didn't overstuff myself and quickly headed back out of the pantry in search of thicker clothes. Since the electricity was out, no heat kept the place warm. It took hours, but I finally found an employee locker room and raided the place until I found some winter clothes. They were slightly big on me, but they'd get the job done.