FIFTEEN

Alex didn't regret most things but making someone cry, and knowing you could've prevented it, was high on his list.

Arielle was sat next to him with tears streaming down her face causing her mascara to run down her rosy cheeks as he looked at her helplessly - not knowing what to do or how to comfort her. He awkwardly sat on the other end of the sofa to her.

"I just don't understand.", She mumbled wiping her eyes as she looked down at her lap, she didn't want Alex to see her cry because of him. She felt embarrassed crying because he was clearly okay about the whole thing, "Everything was fine yesterday."

It really was out of the blue. He showed up at Arielle's house the day after he danced with Olivia and after getting some advice from Miles - who called him a 'fucking idiot' multiple times. He had no explanation to give her - no way to explain himself without hurting her more.

He couldn't tell her the real reason for the breakup - the only person who knew was Miles and even then it was only out of desperation that he finally admitted his feelings about Olivia to someone. He didn't think Arielle would appreciate him telling her the truth, that Olivia gives him a rush that she didn't.

"Do you even like me?" She whispered.

"Of course I like you." He told her, he wasn't lying he just didn't like her in the way she was wanting. She knew what he was hiding from the way he hesitated and struggled through the sentence.

She looked at him, no longer crying but eyes full of disappointment. "You like her more don't you?" She asked already knowing the answer but needing to hear it from him. She knew it was only going to hurt her more but she needed to know.

Alex felt the heat rush to his face, the question catching him off guard as he coughed, "Who?" He tried his best to sound casual but failed as he saw Arielle rolled her eyes.

She stood up now, arms coming to cross over her chest as he looked up at her, "Olivia." She said blankly.

Alex coughed again and shook his head, "She's just a friend."

Arielle turned away from him, her hand coming to stop the tears beginning again as she whispered to herself, "I'm so stupid."

Alex still heard her sanding up behind her as she tried to disagree, "No your-"

She cut him off angrily, turning around so she was facing him, as she argued, "Yes I am! I always knew you liked her but I was stupid enough to believe you when you said it was nothing."

The first time they had ever met Arielle could see the way he looked at Olivia. Watching he from across the room as she talked to her friends so she asked if they were dating. He told her they weren't. When they started dating and the way Alex looked at Olivia, mesmerised and adoringly, didn't change she knew that he liked her.

Though she let herself believe that when he said he liked her, that he wanted to be with her, that he wasn't lying because it felt good. She ignored the way Alex would light up when he saw or talked about Olivia because she didn't want to believe it.

"It is nothing." He insisted. Just like he did all the other times she asked and once he again he said it the same way - even he knew he was lying.

"Then why are you breaking up with me?" She asked no longer upset and now furious, he looked at her at a loss for words and she scoffed, "Exactly. You are such a dick."

"I know." He muttered.

Arielle sighed, "Well then I don't think there's anything left to say." And Alex nodded in agreement - there was nothing to say. He had no justification and she had gotten the clarification she needed.

She walked him to the door opening the door, not looking at him once. "I'm sorry." He told her before leaving.

"No your not." She said shutting the door after him.

Olivia had been looking forward to seeing Alex since her birthday. Ever since she had opened his present - which was the nicest thing anyone had ever given her (the letter not the sunglasses) - she had been excited to see him again.

He was picking her up from a photoshoot and when she exited the studio she saw him looking out of his car in the opposite direction, a cigarette in his hand as he blew smoke out of the open window. His classic sunglasses on his face, which she now had a matching pair of.

The click of his door opening caused him to turn seeing Olivia getting in the passenger side. He was slightly nervous that Arielle might've told her about his feelings and the reason for their breakup but she smiled at him and it was clear that she hadn't.

They smiled at each other and in those smiles was everything that they needed to say - no words were needed. He knew that she was grateful and she knew that he had meant every word. (She could also already picture him shrugging her off as if it was nothing).

She immediately laughed when she realised what song was playing, "Are you really listening to your own music?" 'Humbug' was playing and was current on track 4 ('Secret Door') letting her know that he had been waiting for roughly 10 minutes.

Alex had seemed to be handling his breakup with Arielle well but she still made an effort to try and make jokes to cheer him up incase he was keeping his feelings inside (which he was doing but it wasn't heartbreak that he was hiding and her jokes weren't a remedy they were just making it worse).

Alex smirked with a shrug, "I only put it on because I know how much of a fan you are."

Olivia rolled her eyes before deciding to tease him, a smirk on her nude lips as she put a hand on his knee leaning forward slightly (close to his ear) as she whispered, "Well I only like them because there's this guy in the band that's really, really hot."

Alex felt his cheeks heat up, getting flustered as he muttered, "Oh?", whilst looking at her intensely.

Olivia bit her lip and nodded, then with a laugh she told him, "Yeah, If you ever see Nicholas O'Malley give him my number, alright?"

Alex rolled his eyes - trying to ignore the effect she had on him - thankful that she had removed her hand as she leant back into her seat smiling cheekily at him. "I think that he might be out of your league." He joked.

Olivia sighed dramatically, "Your right. He's far too attractive for me. Hmm, I'll have to settle for the lead singer, heard he's easy to get."

"Think it's time to take you home." He laughed.

"Wait!" She blurted grabbing her bag and quickly searching the contents before pulling out the sunglasses that he had gotten her. He smiled as she put them on posing, "How do I look?"

"Better than I do wearing them." It was a severe under exaggeration. She looked effortlessly perfect, her radiant smile and mischievous yet innocent eyes. A charm that's impossible to drag your eyes away from since it's so hypnotic.

She smiled happily.

Halloween had always been Olivia's favourite holiday - wearing shitty costumes and getting ridiculously drunk.

After mentioning it to Alex (and him saying he'd love to see it) she had dressed up as the Lone Ranger. A western shirt and black eye mask. She showed up and Alex smirked rolling his eyes as she did a twirl on her way to him - he was stood by the bar. She looked unbelievable and Alex was transfixed on her every movement.

She joined him leaning on the bar as she looked at him with a smile. "Well, I think it's only right that you buy me a drink, after all, you did say that you'd pay to see me dressed up as the Lone Ranger." He laughed and bought her a drink - which he would've done regardless.