Chapter 7

After coming up the steps, Farah quietly pushed open the door of her suite. Or more specifically, the one she shared with Rosalind. Surprisingly, the atmosphere was heavy and a strong smell of coffee was floating in the air. When Rosalind was angry, she used to vent her rage by drinking many cups of this beverage.
The fairy was afraid, her heart raced. This smell didn't bode well.
She glanced out the window onto the forest: given the light and the trees covered in foliage, it was probably around nine o'clock p.m in June.
What had happened to put her partner in such a state?

"This is when you come home?!" she grumbled as she came out of the kitchen with a murderous look on her face. "You were hanging out with Silva, weren't you?!"

At that moment, Farah remembered the context. Indeed, as was often the case on summer evenings, she had stayed out longer than expected chatting with Saul, Ben, Rose and Andreas, her band of friends at the time. Rosalind was extremely jealous of her relationship with the Specialist, and she tried everything to keep them apart, thinking that one day she would leave her for him.
That evening he had warned her again about the dreaded fairy, sensing his friend's psychological malaise. Saul was thoughtful, protective, and genuinely concerned about her. And he was right, because Farah felt suffocated, imprisoned in her relationship with Rosalind, she was afraid, she was not free. However, her mentor knew what to do to keep her by her side. She was gentle most of the time, especially in front of other people, but when they were alone it could turn into hurtful remarks, psychological abuse, but never physical.

"I wasn't just with him, if that's what is bothering you," she replied in a sarcastic tone.

Her companion stepped towards her, threatening, looking stern.

"You'd better stay away from him if you don't want him to get into trouble," she advised coldly. "Don't forget that he has no magical powers, and you certainly won't be able to protect him."

Saul's friend stared at the fairy, resentful. She couldn't stand her talking about the Specialist like that.

"I didn't think you had such low self-esteem as to want to control my life, Rosalind," she sighed, shrugging.

Stung, the blonde lunged at her and pushed her against the wall, holding her firmly by the throat.

"Horny as you are, I have to intervene, you tease all the guys, I do not know if you've seen how he looks at you," she retorted with an evil smile.

Farah gritted her teeth. Rosalind would say anything to put the blame on her, and she wasn't about to let herself be disrespected.

"Saul is my Specialist, whether you like it or not, and, if I were you, I'd look in the mirror before I spoke, because you still had the nerve to cheat on me, and also to try something with Luna!" she retorted, raising her voice, ready to defend her friend.

It was the first time she had dared to rebel against her that way, which sent her into a blind rage.
The jealous fairy focused on getting into her girlfriend's mind to inflict horrible pain, but she anticipated the attack, as she had learned during her schooling.
Farah knew only too well what was coming next. Rosalind rushed at her by surprise, threw her to the floor and entered her mind to paralyze her, so that she was unable to defend herself under her raining blows. The fairy was moaning and screaming her distress as best she could, tears streaming down her cheeks.

If someone did not intervene now, she would die.

***

Saul woke up with a start in the conjugal bed, alerted by the screams of his wife, who was agitated, as if possessed, fighting against the sheets.
He guessed that she was again in the grip of a nightmare, but this one seemed much more violent than the others. He had never seen her stir like that, except perhaps when Rosalind had poisoned her at the end of the battle of Aster Dell, and she was delirious. Fortunately, Ben had managed to save her with an herbal remedy. Green with envy, the former headmistress had tried to murder her ex-partner out of pure revenge, knowing that a quiet life was awaiting her with her husband and son, unlike her, who was destined to loneliness. And this was not the first time the fairy had tried to kill her, because one evening, when their relationship was in trouble, she had beaten her and left her for dead in their suite before disappearing for a few days. Saul had found her between life and death and had treated her at his place.
For the time being, she was struggling, and fearing for her health, he decided to wake her up.

"Farah, wake up," he murmured, trying to limit her movements to bring her to her senses.

The fairy could not hear his call and continued to moan, trapped in her dream.
Saul thought for a moment, trying to find a way to wake her without rushing her. She was frightened, in pain, he had to reassure her.
He embraced her softly and placed a few kisses on her neck before sucking on her earlobe.
He gradually felt her whole body relax under the effect of his gentleness.

"That's good, sweetheart, wake up," he whispered.

She finally opened her eyes and gave a startled cry when she realized she was in her husband's arms, not with Rosalind.

"How are you feeling?" he asked, very concerned for her.

Still shocked, she moved closer and put her hand on his cheek to caress it.

"I thought I was going to die, I just relived the moment Rosalind tried to kill me in our suite, and I think if you hadn't woken me up, I really could have died," she confessed, still breathless.

Saul grunted, growing increasingly anxious. Rosalind was free, she could harm her again, and he feared that she was the one who had triggered the attack.

"Do you think Rosalind could have got into your mind to torture you?" he questioned, kissing her on the shoulder.

She let out a deep, indecisive sigh.

"I can't say for sure, but I think it's not just a coincidence. I've rarely heard of fairies who could kill their victims through dreams, but Rosalind is very powerful, so I wouldn't be surprised at her."

Her husband took her hand and clasped it in his, before placing it over her loving heart.

"I'm really worried about you darling, I know she's going to try and hurt you in every way, and I wish I could protect you. I couldn't bear to lose you, and neither could Sky," he said, kissing her palm.

Sky's mom snuggled against his chest and reached for his lips, assaulting them with her own. She didn't want to think about Rosalind, she just wanted to enjoy this long, tender kiss with the man she loved.

"I know, love, but you have to let me handle this, otherwise she'll kill you, and Sky too. I know that if she wants to get to me, she'll go after our son first, and then you, so, I have to protect him," she acquiesced. "If you want to protect me from her, wake me up when I'm restless."

He nodded and held her close to his heart for comfort. Saul, however, was in over his head. He had no way to protect his wife from a fairy as powerful as Rosalind, and their son was also in danger.

Things could only go from bad to worse.