Ras and Clarissa Part 1

Ras and Arky made their way through the courtyard in the inner grounds of the castle. All around them were neatly arranged flowers outlining a linear web that ran through the center. In the very center, a single tree towered over them.

As they drew close, Ras noticed the base of the tree surrounded by its own set of flowers. A bronze placard, somewhat buried in the flowers, marked with the words "May the Goddess watch over us, just as you have." Beneath that read "Queen Diene". Ras stood and read it again, lamenting the fact that he could not save the queen yet again. He never had the opportunity to this time. The previous world's demise only allowed him enough time to at least see her perish. Preparing to enter this world took some careful planning and discussion with Goddess Diche before disembarking.

"I see you found my display of dedication to the queen. The Goddess surely guided her to peace in her final moments."

Ras turned to his left to see a girl approaching with gentle steps. Her blue garments and Conclave necklace she wore made it clear she's a sister of the Holy Church. Her voice was sweet and gentle, yet not sleep-inducing like Angelica's. The ribbon tied around her waist stood out as the ends hung halfway down her legs, and the width made it appear as if she had wings.

"Yes." Ras answered, turning back to the tree. "I can't help but blame myself. If only I had awakened sooner, she'd still be here."

The sister lined herself up next to Ras, staring down the flowers. "Heir of the Covenant, we all arrive and depart when we are meant to. If you are to show up now, then the Goddess has good reason to will it."

Those words did not comfort him. It only boiled down to 'it cannot be helped', as far as he was concerned.

"I appreciate the sentiment. I assume you're the one High Priestess wanted us to meet up with?"

She bowed graciously. "Clarissa Maripoza. I've been struggling to contain myself, but I'm honored to serve the Goddess and assist the Heir of the Covenant."

"You can just call me Ras. Arky and I---wait, where's Arky?"

Clarissa looked past Ras, spotting the pollen-covered guardian. "Is that the same one who is currently trampling through several of the flowers I painstakingly arranged by myself?"

Ras lurched back, detecting the change in her usual sweet tone to one of restrained frustration. He rushed over and picked Arky up without stepping into the flowerbed himself. "We're really sorry about disturbing your garden. I'll make sure he also atones for this."

Clarissa sighed, waving the matter off. "It's alright. That'll be addressed at a later date. Maybe I'll have sister Montmorancy assist me next time. For now, we should continue on to see the prince.

"Alright, let's hurry." Ras said, putting Arky on his shoulder. Arky shook off the dirt and leaves as they proceeded down back down the corridor leading back inside the castle.

The guards they passed didn't acknowledge them much. There were a few friendly faces among them who weren't afraid to say anything. The rest, however, either averted their gaze or looked on with disdain for the supposed savior.

"Arky doesn't like this. My tail is constantly standing on end with all this tension in the air. And I keep hearing the sound of rattling chains as if we're being followed by a ghost!"

"Not to worry." Clarissa reassured him. "We're almost to our destination. Though I am a little worried about the state of the castle staff, none of them will lay a finger on you as long as I'm here.

Once they made it up to the royal chamber, stopped and directed Ras and Arky to go on.

"Here we are, Heir of the Covenant. I mean, Ras. I would come with you, but I have a patrol to do."