Intro #1

The world of Orbis has had a long history of war and blood, violence and betrayal, cycled and simulated over and over. The fight against the Archdemon that ended twenty years ago did not give way to peace for long. Countless lives lost. Survivors fell into despair, as their belief in the Goddess Diche and the church that represented her waned. The internal struggle of Ezera's kingdom saw the backlash of that boiling tension. Different sections that formed the Conclave, Ezera's four pillars that kept each other in check, lost their collective sense of identity. Of course, external forces played their part. Rivals and detractors have infiltrated their ranks, sowing chaos in an attempt to seize the throne. With the awakening and arrival of the Heir of the Covenant, the Goddess' plan to restore order in Ezera may very well turn the tables. Ras Elclare, along with his guardian Arkasus, will have their hands full as the ones taking charge of removing a complex web.

"Now that you're here, Ras, everyone will have their eyes on you. There aren't many people here who don't know who you are. Fortunately, they may not know why you're really here. The Goddess sure is a wise one."

The one lecturing Ras is the High Priestess of the Holy Church, Angelica. He did the best he could to listen attentively, but her slow and weary manner of speech felt like a form of hypnosis. Arkasus had already dozed off on top of the statue of the residing goddess.

"...Now, if there is anything else you would like to know, then I'm willing to answer."

Ras snapped awake, realizing that Angelica had finished speaking. He tuned off for much of that one-sided conversation, but caught the last bit.

"Is there anyone I need to be wary of at the moment?"

The High Priestess thought about it, going through the list of suspects that have seen their time in the rumor mill. "There is a certain someone in the Rose Apostles that I've had the biggest suspicions of for some time now. While I have no evidence, just the way he looks and acts is enough to rub anyone the wrong way."

Ras nodded, recounting someone who fit that description on his over to this section of the castle. A somewhat slender young man with black hair hanging just above the shoulders. The discernable, mischievous smirk he wore at any opportunity. Even the vulgarity and false sincerity in his words...

"I guess that's one place to start. How about allies?"

"There's the Order of the Shield's Sir Charles, and his second in command Iseria. You can rely on them for support. And, I have one of my own who can help more directly should you run into trouble."

A scary thought, for sure. An operation such as this has no chance of going so smoothly. The worst case scenario is if that information already leaked. The response could come from any angle and no one would see it coming. No, it's not a good idea to go off that assumption. If this is to maintain order, then the only solution is to move forward.

"What about your section?" Ras wondered. "Did you confide this information to anyone here?"

Angelica reclined in her seat, taking a sip of herbal tea. "I have as much faith in my girls as I do the Goddess. Otherwise, they would never be a part of the Church."

"I assume that means they all know then?"

"Yes. They are all willing to support you in any way possible. As the Heir of the Covenant, you are something of an idol here. As someone closest to her, you can use that to your advantage, if you're willing to go that far."

Ras raised an eyebrow. "I don't quite understand what you're implying, but it's good to know that there are people here who have my back. So, who is this person you're entrusting to me?"

"I'm sure you'll encounter her sooner or later. She's either patrolling or tending to the gardens at this time of day. But worry about that another time. It's about time for you to meet the new ruler of Tirel Castle, and of Ezera itself. He is also someone you can rely on for anything. Best not to keep him waiting."