Chapter 1 Part 1: Icecream

Every day, at Utsubyo Junior High, teachers and students would be greeted by the lovely Haru Hiroko. Everyone would smile with the presence of the bright ball of sunshine in the room. The first period of the day was Physical Education.

At one end of the cafeteria-- The PE homeroom's makeshift classroom-- there was someone drawing a duck. Sneaking from the other side-- the other PE classroom-- someone tried startling the artist. "Boo!" he quietly, suddenly said. "Hi, Fumihiro! I'm so excited for today!" Haru jumped. "Ah, yes, we're gonna be performing for some kids today. At least we skip PE."

"Normally I'd think you'd not like performing for kids!" Haru grinned. "Yeah, but anything to skip PE." Fumihiro replied. "Haha! It's the first performance so it's gonna be fun!" she laughed. The clock struck 8:00 and the bell rang. "We gotta get to drumline!" Haru exclaimed. "Wanna run it?" Fumihiro suggested. "We gotta save our energy for the performance"

At the band room, everyone was loud despite the instructions to be quiet. "Alright everyone, get strapped up" the band director instructed. As a beginning cymbal, getting strapped up would hurt a bit. But it's that way for the basses or the tenors too.

The basses and tenors went first into the room with all the drums and took out their equipment to put on outside. Next came the snares. While the snares were strapping up, the cymbal line decided to have a conversation in a circle. They were talking about a song going around online. "You all know the one that goes, AaAaAaAAaAaAAa, right?"

"Oh! Yeah-" Haru started. Another cymbal player cut her off "By Nashimoto-P?" the other one who started the conversation responded "Yeah! That one!" the cymbals in a conversation about vocaloid closed the circle until "Cymbals! It's your turn!" the section leader for the snares yelled. Haru got her cymbals first from the stack and went outside as soon as she could. The cold morning air was a good thing to get before the performance.

Not long after, everyone was outside. The drumline director, when everyone was strapped up, commanded everyone, "Alright! Once you're strapped up, we gotta start heading to Mizumi Elementary! C'mon!"

Haru slowed down to catch up to the basses. Wherever the drumline would walk, a loud noise would erupt. "NO PECKING!" the bass section leader would yell every few minutes, despite forgetting to ghost the notes he should play. "Oh my goodness! This is so exciting!" Haru screamed. "Don't waste too much energy before we perform." her friend warned. "Ah, I won't!" Haru was sure.

On the trail to Mizumi Elementary School, there was a school next door to Utsubyo, another middle school. Some children were heading to their PE. On the way, one of the people from the next door school waved to the basses. He didn't receive any response at all. Haru held her cymbal up to wave "Hi!" in a sense. "Don't talk to them. They're always so rude to us." the section leader advised. "He doesn't seem so bad." Haru argued. "Yeah, but he's probably worse if you know him."

After the section leader went ahead, Fumihiro said to Haru, "Don't listen to him. He's an idiot." Haru thought for a second, "Why do we hate that school?" They continued their path to Mizumi. And when they arrived they walked into the empty auditorium. "Alright, guys, let's review 3/4, 4/4 and maybe I can teach you guys eighths." The director said. He started counting and hitting sticks. "One and two and three and, one two ready..."

Crash! The little time they had to practice started. Things were going well for the cymbal line so far. No flaws could be heard among the group. Every third crash, the next note would be a rest. Slowly, children from the elementary school would walk in. They had no time to learn eighths.

Some children smiled, some children were uninterested. Haru tried looking for the happiness in the crowd. She was distracted, she did an accidental crash at the rest. The other girl, next to her quickly looked at her, worried. Haru realized and just kept going.

The constant drumming stayed for two more minutes. On and on until the big CRASH! The children applauded the drumline for their very good performance and the line moved out. On the way back to Utsubyo, people were talking. "The cymbals sucked" a snare player insulted. "Like you were any better!" a girl from the cymbal line yelled. The section leader of the basses argued, "Yeah, basses are the most important part of the drumline"

Haru just listened, walking past the elementary and past the snares and bass section leader. Fumihiro ran to catch up. "You good?" he asked. "Yeah." Haru shortly answered. "Not the proudest of my performance though" Fumihiro looked to the section leader of his line and signed something. "I think you did good." Fumihiro told Haru. "Nobody needs an extra crash." she said. "Kids liked it though." he shrugged.

On the way back, that guy from the other school was there again. He waved, again. Fumihiro gave one hit to signal back to him. Haru held her cymbal in the air again. "NO PECKING!" the bass section leader shouted.

From that performance, the day continued being normal. During lunch, there's a tradition with Fumihiro and his sister to always get icecream at the last ten minutes. After sitting on a bench and talking for a while, he said "It's 12:40" Haru looked at her lanyard's ID pocket. "Aw man, I only have 75 cents." Fumihiro started getting out his wallet. "No! No no no! Don't pay me! I'll be okay with no icecream today!" Haru put her lanyard away.

"If you aren't getting icecream, I won't either" he put his wallet away. "It'd be better if you get icecream though, right?" Haru tried convincing him to get icecream for himself but it's no use. Despite Fumihiro being cold and distant to everyone else, he's very nice to Haru. "I'm not getting icecream." he confirmed.

The afternoon after school, Haru found herself on a rooftop of a building not too far from Utsubyo. "Hey!" A bird quacked. "Hi, Hisato." Haru whispered. By the time she was at the building, she was in a frilly getup with a bow and arrow. "Let's see what there is today." she told herself. There's an icecream shop below the building. "Aw man. I'm even hungrier now" she sighed. Walking into the icecream shop, there was a couple of friends. "That's cute." She pulled out one arrow and shot.

The arrow hit one of the friends and it was unnoticed by anyone. The two friends are even happier now. They're spending their time getting icecream. This whole thing with Haru shooting arrows is indeed her job. It's quite a fun job, actually. But only for those she assists with her arrows. "We gotta keep watching for the sins!" Hisato quacked again. "I know." Haru said.

Moments like this on the rooftop were normal. But one detail that everybody overlooks: her shoes are off while she's on the rooftop. She watches for these things at the edge. If nobody notices, who knows what'll happen.