1

S1EP1
October, New York, Present Day (Saturday)

*You groggily wake up from your slumber and stumble out of bed. With a messy mop of hair and tired eyes, you head out to the living room and see your mom. That's odd...she's already dressed for the day. But not in her usual dressy outfits for work. Only in a tshirt and jeans with her hair down. And she's not wearing any of that stuff she says you can use when you're older. She calls it, "make-it-ups" or something. Usually you guys hang out watching cartoons and eating breakfast until the afternoon, but she's ready for the day. She looks up in surprise and weakly smiles, wiping her eyes.*

Y/n: Are you ok, Mommy? *She lets out a small sad laugh while nodding. You toddle over in your onesie pajamas and hug her. It's been hard since your dad left. Even since then, your mom has been keeping it together...this is the first time you've seen her cry. She hugs you tight and kisses your cheek, silently thanking you.*

M: *smiling* Mommy's alright. Just those dang allergies! What are you hungry for?
Y/n: ..hm..Pancakes! *She puts some in the microwave and gets you a TV tray so you can watch cartoons. You look at the piece of paper your mom was holding when she was crying. It just has a bunch of scribbles on it. What's so sad about scribbles?*

Y/n: *holding up the piece of paper* What's dis, Mommy? *She looks a bit scared, but quickly fixes her face.*

M: *taking it* Oh, just some adult things. Nothing you need to worry about. Alright, let's eat. After this episode, we have to get ready to go.

Y/n: *excited* Go where?!

M: You'll see if you eat your breakfast! *You run up to the couch and eat as fast as you can. After you're done, you get dressed, your mom brushes your hair, and you're ready to go. You hop in the car seat and get hooked up, excited for what today might bring. Your mom puts your backpack beside you.*

Y/n: But it's Satuhday...

M: I know! It's for something else. *Your mom takes you out to the store and goes into the clothes section. She has you pick out 2 pairs of pajamas, 2 outfits, some socks and underwear, and a pair of shoes. Then she takes you over to the toy section.*

M: Ok, go pick out two toys.

Y/n: *wide eyed* Any of dem?!

M: Mhm! Go! Pick some out. *You run over and pick out a fidget cube and (your favorite color) putty.*

M: Are you sure that's what you want? *You nod, clutching the little toys close to you. She pauses and looks over at the toy section.*

M: Choose one more, something a little bigger this time. *You squeal in joy and go pick out a doll/action figure. A woman in a striped jacket and a man with a beard happen to notice how happy you are. They smile at your mom and the woman waves at you.*

(Woman): *smiling warmly* She's adorable...

M: *weakly smiles back* Thank you. *The couple walk away with their cart. You giddily hold the toy up to your mom and thank her as she puts it in the cart. She smiles and hugs you...it's a long hug.*

Y/n: *muffled* I can't bweeeave- *She lets you go and starts heading to the checkout. After everything's all paid for, she hooks you up in the car seat and puts the clothes and toys in your backpack. She notices your confusion and explains, "It's just easier to carry it all in one bag." After she gets in, she takes a shaky breath, adjusts her hands, and slowly pulls out of the parking lot.*

Y/n: Where are we going, Mommy?

M: *quietly* To the park, Sweet Pea...

Y/n: YAAAY! Cartoons AND the park?! Fanks, Mommy! *In all your exhilaration, you don't notice your mom's eyes tearing up, or how her grip on the steering wheel tightens, or the longing look she gives you as you peek out the window, waiting to arrive at the park. When you finally get there, your mom takes a long pause, just staring out the window ahead of her. She doesn't budge.*

Y/n: Mommy?..we're here, Mommy...

M: *barely above a whisper* I know, Sweet Pea...I know. *She slowly gets out of the car, taking her time unbuckling you. You start running off to the twisty slide. While you're distracted, she puts that piece of scribbly paper into the front pocket of your backpack, failing to hold back tears. She quickly dries them, picks up the backpack, and forces a warm smile. She places the backpack on the bench along with her purse and keys. Then she starts walking over to you. Usually she just watches you from the bench by the basketball court, away from the actual playground. But now she wants to play?!*

Y/n: Are you gonna play wif me, Mommy?!

M: Mhm! *She walks closer, looking unsuspecting, but then she taps your hand!*

M: *jogging away* You're it!

Y/n: Hey! Dat's not fair! Hey, hey, hey, monkey bars are base, ok? *You guys play tag until you're tired from running. Then your mom pushes you on the merry go round and holds you on her lap while she swings with you. Your mom lets you pull out your new toys so you can play with them! It's the perfect day...*

Y/n: Where's dah bafroom? I gotta wash my hands. *Your mom looks shocked, then nervous. What is going on with her?*

M: Um, i-it's right over here...But come here real quick. *She gets down and hugs you, then picks you up and holds your head on her shoulder, swaying a bit. You hug her back, wrapping your arms and legs around her.*

Y/n: *quietly* But my hands are dirty-

M: *laughs* I don't mind...*whispers* I love you, Sweet Pea. So much. More than you'll ever know...

Y/n: I love you too, Mommy... *Your mom puts you down quickly and turns away, wiping her eyes and sniffling.*

M: *hurried* Alright, now go wash your hands really good, don't do it too quickly. Clean your face too, please. *You hurry to the bathroom, just as your mom said. As soon as you're in the bathroom, your mom runs to grab her purse and keys. She gets in the car and starts it, tears streaming down her face, barely able to see. She frantically pulls out of the parking lot, apologizing over and over under her breath, agonizing over the fact you can't hear her. You finish up in the bathroom and come out.*

Y/n: Alright, Mommy! I'm done! Can we play-...Mommy? *You look around, but you don't see her. You go around the corner to see if she was already playing hide and seek.*

Y/n: GOTCHA!- Oh.... *You continue to look for her, but to no avail. You call out her name repeatedly. When there's no response, your blood starts to run cold and your heart drops to your stomach...She's not here.