𝟎𝟏𝟎.

AT HER SUMMON, THE FOX DEVIL BURST THROUGH THE FLOOR. The two grabbed onto the nearest things for support, watching the scene unfold before them. The Fox Devil's jaws chomped down on Heita, swallowing him and the devil. Multiple crimson orbs looked in her direction. Blood trailed down its mouth, dying the previously pristine floor red. The strong tremors stopped, and Kanako released her vice-like grip on the hilt of her katana.

"Hmph, you're always relying on me to solve your problems. But whatever, that human was quite tasty."

The Fox Devil said, vanishing before she could say anything.

The girl sighed, running a hand through her ponytail. She took a slow and calculative scan around her surroundings, taking note of how hectic it looked. It resembles the after-effects of a long and ferocious battle. Cracks spread everywhere on the floor. The large square carpet was torn, and pieces spread across the floor. Kanako stepped over a gaping hole, not wanting to know where it leads, and looked out of the window. As compared to what happened a few minutes ago, seeing how the public was oblivious to it made it funny.

"What the hell happened when I was gone?" Aki sighed, lighting a cigarette, and walked over until he stood beside her.

The girl remained silent, allowing a gentle gust of breeze to blow past them. The wind sent her ponytail swaying slightly and she savored the sensation of cool air kissing her cheeks. "Long story short, he made a contract with the devil. And I learned something new."

"Which is?" He glanced in her direction, tilting his head up to blow out the smoke.

"He's working with the Gun Devil."

Silence.

Aki nearly dropped his cigarette at the new piece of information presented to him. His eyes widened, lips parted but were unable to utter a single word. He stared at his partner, dumbfounded. Unlike him, Kanao was unfazed and she continued staring out into the distance with a dazed look. He nudged her gently, bringing her back to reality and she turned to him.

"You alright? You seem like you spaced out for a moment there," he asked.

The girl gave him a small smile. "I'm fine. It's just..." She paused, spending a few seconds to regain her thoughts. "I thought I'll be more angry or disappointed that I didn't get to spend much time with my father. Instead, all I feel is this emptiness weighing heavily on my heart. It made me wonder if I've lost my humanity."

Aki said nothing. He doesn't know what to say and it's not like he wasn't in the same boat either. Being a devil hunter sometimes requires you to get rid of your humanity. There are times when some situations require you to step out of your comfort zone and find and grasp the monster residing in you to emerge as the winner. He inched closer until their shoulders grazed one another. Aki hands his lighted cigarette to her, causing her to stare at him, bemused.

"What?" She blinked.

"Don't you remember? You wanted to try smoking and I'm lending you mine. I would have given you another cigarette but this is my last one," he answered.

Realization dawned on her and she gratefully accepted the cigarette. Kanako attempted to copy the way he held it, fingers gripping onto the end and bringing it to her lips. The girl was well-aware of how Aki was observing her movements, and it made her slightly nervous. She inhaled, only to end up bursting into a round of coughing.

"You don't have to inhale it at one go, you know," he deadpanned.

She lightly smacked his shoulder, clearing her throat once she calmed down. "Shut up, I'm not an expert in smoking."