OS: Lights! Rangoli! Action!

A chotu-sa surprise for my Fuddu friends ahead of Diwali. May all our manifestations come true!

The following OS is a snippet of the Kundrra household a day before Diwali, a few years from now..

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

"Baba waise nahi! Make it like this. My rangoli should be the 'beautifulest'!"

"That's not even a word Aaira", said Karan and Tejasswi's eight year old son, Aarav rolling his eyes just like his mother.

"I am not talking to you Aarav", retorted Aaira, their four year old daughter sticking her tongue out.

"Bhaiya. Princess, that's Aarav Bhaiya for you always, okay? And of course my baby's rangoli will be the prettiest one there is", said Karan concentrating on perfecting their 'Picasso' level rangoli.

"Sunnyyy!! Aarav-Aaira!! Are you'll ready??", came Teju's screeching voice from inside their apartment.

Upon not receiving a response, Teju came and stood on the threshold of their main door and looked at her family incredulously.

Scolding her 'three kids', Teju in flow said, "You'll haven't even changed yet? And what is all this colour on your clothes Aayu? It's Diwali, not Holi. There is so much work pending. Abhi toh khana bhi order karna hai, aur diye bhi jalane hai. Sunny, I had told you to —"

"Kinni soni lag rahi hai", chorused all three with a starstruck expression looking at Teju, all decked up in a red lehenga, big jhumkas and hair styled in loose curls.

Grimacing but also blushing, Teju replied, "God Sunny. They are definitely your kids when it comes to sweet-talking their way out of trouble."

Before Karan could defend himself, Teju leaned against the door and looked at their handiwork on the floor and exclaimed, "And what is this rangoli? People generally make flowers, peacocks and diyas. And what have you'll made? Cars, pandas, a sun, dolls and is that a... snake? Are you serious Sunny?"

"Mumma, this is the Kundrra Family rangoli. It can't be 'orthinary' like the rest of the world na? Right, Aarav Bhaiya?, said Aaira proudly.

"Ordinary Aayuu, not othinary. But I second that Mumma. Also Baba promised us that we get to have two gulab jamuns AND cake tonight if we help him with the surpri—", blabbered out Aarav, making Karan fake cough loudly to stop him mid-sentence.

"Surpri-Kya? Surprise? Sunny? Batao na kya surprise?", insisted Teju.

Avoiding eye contact with Teju but a sharing knowing glance with their kids, Karan quickly got up from the floor and ushered his two little devils into the house giggling.

Dying of curiosity, Teju in a feeble and unconvincing attempt said, "Baby.. ab jo tum teen jaan-jaan ke mujhe yeh kar rahe ho na? I don't care. Mujhe jaana hi nahi hai"

"I believe you, Sweetie. Chal mai ja raha hoon ready hone", controlling his laughter, said Karan and quickly kissed his wife on her forehead and ran to their bedroom before she could say anything else.

"Sunny, kahaan bhaag rahe ho? Babyyy!! Aur tum dono, idhar aao. You are MY kids no? Sirf two gulab jamuns kyun? I'll give you three each if you tell me what your Baba is up to", said Teju trapping Aarav and Aaira in a 'motherly' hold.

"Sharam kar Teju! You're bribing our children?! Aarav-Aaira, come to my room - I'll get you ready.", shouted Karan, poking his head out of their bedroom.