Driving home for Christmas

L A Y L A ' S P O V

I'm in heaven. Aka the snack aisle at my local gas station.

It's Christmas week so there's a sale on the freshly baked festive cookies so of course I had to grab some, along with many different chip options for the long drive home to Chicago Derek and I have ahead of us.

I'm in a mental debate with myself over what type of m&m's I want when my phone rings in my purse. Careful not to drop everything in my hands, I pull my phone out and slide to accept the call as Derek's face flashes across the screen.

"Hey. You like the peanut m&m's, right?"

Derek chuckles. "Yeah I do. Why, where are you?"

"I'm at the store," I say, grabbing some red bulls from the fridge. Our road trip is going to take about eleven hours so the energy drinks will be much needed. "I'll be at yours in like.. twenty minutes?"

"No, meet me at your apartment. I'm here and so is your Christmas present."

At the mention of my present, I've never moved as fast to the checkout. "I'll be there in five."

I make it back to my apartment in three minutes tops, practically bouncing on my toes as I rush through the door. "Where is it?"

Derek stands from the couch, chucking as he makes his way over to me. "Hello to you too."

"Hi," I lean up and press a quick kiss to his lips, but my eyes are still searching around my apartment for my present. Can you tell I'm excited? My fingers curl into my palms when I pump my eyebrows. "Now gimme."

Derek's eyes travel to my hands and he fights back an amused smirk. "It won't fit in your hands."

Laughter escapes my lips. "Why? Is it your dick?"

Derek sucks in a teasing breath and narrows his eyes before he slides in behind me. "No, but thank you for that ego boost."

"Like you needed it—" My breath hitches when his hands slide around me and his palms cover my eyes. "What's happening?"

"The present is in your room," Derek chuckles, pressing a small kiss to my shoulder. "Walk forward."

Blinding navigating the way to my bedroom, Derek stops me and when he takes his hands away from my face, my eyes fall to a beautiful sleek vanity table with marble finish. There's columns of drawers on both sides with diamond style knobs and led lights surrounding the mirror. It looks like something out of a beauty salon. I love it.

I mentioned to Derek in passing a couple weeks ago that my bathroom doesn't have any natural lighting, so that's why it takes me a few extra minutes to get ready in the morning because I'm making sure that my makeup isn't orange or cakey. Not only did he remember that comment, he took it upon himself to build me something I didn't even know I needed.

"You built this?" I know Derek doesn't buy anything he can make himself. The bookshelf in his house, the dining table, all his backyard patio and so much more was all his doing. There's nothing he can't do. "For me?"

"Yeah," Derek nods, his eyes dragging over my face to catch my reaction. For once, he looks uncharacteristically nervous. "You like it?"