Chapter 27- Gala

"We don't have to go tonight if you don't want to" Connor told her as they pulled into med. There was yet another donor Gala tonight, the last one before the big New Years one. It was Ava's first week back at the hospital and she was expected to attend all events like normal.
"No, it's fine. I want to go anyway, I can't just rotate between med and your apartment"
"Our apartment, Ava" Connor corrected her.
Ava pursed her lips as she got out of the car, it still felt wrong to say it. They walked into med together in silence until a gurney came crashing in behind them.
"Dr. Bekker, we need you, emergency surgery"
"Of course" she replied.
Connor gently brushed his hand on her waist while taking her bag from her, sending shivers down his arm. "Go" he urged her.

Ava ran into the lift after the patient. She hopped out when it dinged on the CT floor.
"Get him prepped and give him a round of saline" she told them while she went to go scrub in.
"Dr. Bekker" a voice called after her as she held the or door open.
"Yes"
"Your prescription is ready for collection" the pharmacist told her.
"Thank you, I'll pick it up after shift" she moved to go into the OR.
"Pharmacy closes at 4pm"
Ava turned about around, trying to find a solution, she needed her meds.
"I can have them shipped to your address, the hospital offers that to staff"
"Yes, that's perfect thank you so much" Ava said hurriedly, running into the scrub room.

*

Ava runs her hand through her hair as she gets out of the lift.
"Long shift?" Connor asks, appearing at her side.
"Exceptionally" Ava replies with a weak smile. Waking out of the ED she catches Will's eye who gives her a look she can't quite read. She quickly throws her eyes the other way to distract herself.
"We don't have to go if you're too tired" he reminds her as they pull out of med.
"Connor I would tell you if I didn't want to go, besides it'll be good for the hospital" she shrugs, closing her eyes.
"Okey but we can leave whenever you want, I can only handle so many hours at these things anyway"
"We can always go hide in the on call room" Ava joked, keeping her eyes shut.
"Ava it isn't at the hospital this time, it's in this nice building on 175th. You'll like it, it's got a great sky garden"
"Sounds lovely" Ava exhale softly, closing her eye.

Connor waited at the kitchen table for Ava, taking out his phone he expected Ava to take a long time getting ready. Before Connor could open anything he heard a door click open and light thumps of high heels across the wooden floors.
"Do you think this is appropriate?" Ava asked, stopping to adjust her earring.
Ava was dressed in a black, backless dress that was held up with two thin straps. There was a deep plunging v-neck line, and a slit up her thigh with fabric pooling at her feet. Ava had finished the look off with matching silver sparkly heels and drop earrings.
Connor had to remind himself to pick his jaw up off the floor and speak, "Yeah, yeah. Very appropriate" he snaps his eyes away from her.
"I figured if people were going to stare they might as well look at the scar on my chest, then question the one on my neck"
Ava walked to the door, flicking her long blonde hair over her bare back. Ava had let her hair grow out since getting out of hospital and it now lay down her back in blonde ringlets.

"Your ties crooked" she stopped him, her hands on his tie before she could even realise how intimate a position this was. Ava didn't meet his eye as she adjust his tie to make it straight.
"Thanks" he said softly, Ava's hand still resting on his chest.
"I could drive, if you want to have a drink" she suggested awkwardly, running her palms down the front of her skirt.
"Sure yeah, if your comfortable with that" he hold his car keys out to her.
"Oh, no, no" she pushed the keys back to him.
"I am not driving that death trap" she told her, taking her own car keys from the bowl.
"You never seemed to have an issue being in it before?"
"That's different, I wasn't driving. It's goes too fast" she told him as they left the apartment.